1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

rosters expanded sept 1 yes?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

In the case of the Mets, that just means more terrible options in the bullpen.

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I can't believe I have never seen anything like that.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And for recognizing the spin on the ball. It's not like that thing was hugging the line. It was a good 10 feet foul and dying out when it started coming back the other way.
    Good awareness by the runners, too, to get moving. The Giants might still have been able to get a force after it squirreled back into fair territory. In a different situation (there were two outs when this happened), that's the kind of ball that could even turn into a really goofy triple play.

bigpern23 and maumann like this.
  6. maumann

The Tigers and A's are about to resume a game suspended by weather earlier in the season in Detroit. Josh Harrison has a 2-2 count in the bottom of the seventh. But there's a problem. He's no longer on the team. In fact, four of the next five batters for Detroit -- Harrison, Jacoby Jones, Niko Goodrum and Nick Castellanos -- are hurt or have been traded. The A's also have several players missing, so expect a very odd boxscore and lots of substitutions.

Even though it's at the Coliseum, this still counts as a home game for the Tigers, and could result in an 11-game winning streak (that ended several months ago) for the A's if they hold onto a 5-3 lead, or streaks of three and seven games if they lose.

The A's put up a "welcome to Comerica Park" graphic on their scoreboard for the occasion. I don't believe the Tigers will wear their home whites, though.

P.S.: Jordy Mercer replaced Harrison and struck out. So even though he hasn't played since May 27, Harrison is credited with the at-bat according to the Official Rules of Baseball. Had Mercer hit a homer, it still would have been credited to Harrison.

Baseball is awesome.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Batman and sgreenwell like this.
  7. maumann

Former St. Louis Cardinal Chris Duncan has died after a decade-long struggle with brain cancer. The youngest son of Dave Duncan, and member of the 2006 World Series champions, was 38.

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Sad news.

Duncan was the whipping boy in St. Louis every time he had a poor game, in large part because he was Dave’s son. He was a decent major leaguer, occasionally spectacular. And from what I understand he was very good on the radio.

RIP

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The only ‘pennant races’ this year seem to be who will be the visiting team in the play-in game. Not going to be a boost for ratings or attendance

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now that was sudden.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Very Steinbrennian

Although if you want to announce something like that, half an hour after the Patriots open the season with a win like that seems like a good time

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Really surprised by the timing, but I wasn't a huge fan of Dombrowski, so I'm not really worried about the change.

lakefront likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted