1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nothing happening in Toronto.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Gonna be funny when it goes into extra innings scoreless and Verlander does indeed get credited with nothing.

3. HanSenSE

Two-run homer by Toro in the top of the ninth. Was a nice thought, though.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3rd career no-hitter for Verlander

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

First visiting pitcher to throw two no-hitters in the same ballpark

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Only seven pitchers have thrown more than one CG this year.

7. HanSenSE

And I keep thinking of Pablo Sandoval in the 2012 World Series.

maumann likes this.
  8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And David Eckstein in 2006. In both cases, the Tigers swept the AL championship and sat while the Giants and Cardinals barely survived elimination games.

As soon as Pagan's grounder hit the third-base bag in Game 1, I knew the Giants were destined to win the damn thing. The Tigers spent over a billion dollars under Dombrowski and went 1-8 in games that actually mattered. The 2014 team had four Cy Young Award winners and got swept by Baltimore.

Now they're about to lose 115 or more games again for the second time in 16 years. And 2020 is more of the same pain, because Dombrowski's successor is an idiot.

Life isn't fair. Neither are the 10-team baseball playoffs. They are the biggest crapshoot in sports other than a green-white-checkered finish in NASCAR. The hottest team in October wins, not the best. The Giants had clutch hitting and pitching, Bob Brenly and capitalized on every break.

If it's your destiny to win the World Series, by God, somebody like Pablo Sandoval or David Eckstein will step up to do it. San Francisco somehow pulled off that miracle three times in five years. Good on ya, because I know how much it meant to the Bay Area after so many frustrating seasons.

Detroit's on 35 years and counting. (Sorry, Cleveland.) I have no idea when they'll get another chance.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Jays had no chance against him today.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Was talking to buddy last night over cocktails and we were trying to ID 10 stud starters and couldn’t make it even with the 3 from Hou.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Really? There's Scherzer, Strasburg, deGrom, Ryu, Kershaw and Nola just from the National League. I admit the implosions of Sale and Price hurt the AL list.

Draft saved Draft deleted