1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The voting was reeeeally close but looking back at the contenders’ numbers, I’m shocked they didn’t give it to Jeter.

Guy_Incognito likes this.
  2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Back then the default position was who had the big HR and RBI totals. When Kent won MVP in 2000, he had 130 RBIs compared to Bonds but then I looked it up and Kent had over 100 more ABs with runners on; so yeah he's going to have more, he got way more opportunities.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Morneau wasn't even the best position player on his team that year.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That hitters wont adjust is what pisses me off. The rules say 9 men on a side and one is the pitcher. Does it say where they have to stand when the ball is pitched.

hit'm where they ain't

lakefront, HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that this is one of those things that is easier said than done. Like, hitting is such a specialized activity already, that trying to deviate from your "normal" way to dump a ball into left or right is almost impossible, and more likely to just result in a pop-up.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can you average 95 wins over 4 years. Make the playoffs each year. Win a World Series and be overrated as a manager? Or be an underachieving team? Is Maddon this generation’s Bobby Cox?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but under the same reasoning, ratcheting up your launch angle to theoretically produce more homers, should result in more popups and topspin dunkers too.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hitting the damn ball at all is easier said than done. But these guys are major leaguers. They SHOULD have the ability to adjust, but the fact is, nobody even suggests they try. It's stupidity masked by stat jargon like launch angle.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's not all about the hitter. If the pitcher does his job you can do all the adjusting you want and you ain't beating the shift. If the pitcher is throwing inside, it's next to impossible to hit a fair ball the opposite way. The shift works not only because of a hitter's tendencies, but because opponents pitch to those tendencies.
    Now if you want to bunt, that's a different story. Somebody for the Cardinals, I forget who, did that a few weeks ago and got a double out of it. That's the real way to beat the shift.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Carpenter got that bunt double. Probably his best hit of the year.

Batman likes this.
  11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Manky Jimmy approves.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Thanks! Is any of it wrong?

Draft saved Draft deleted