1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB Regular Season running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Feb 17, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Excellent numbers for 20 year career. Hall of Fame.

Not front room. Not Joe D, Not Ted Williams. Not Stan Not Willie. Not Clemente. Not Bonds. Not FRobby.

He’ll be a great along side Dave Winfield, Kirby Puckett, Reggie Jackson, Richie Ashburn. Willie Stargell.

He’s a prolific hitter. If he can average .280 3oHrs and 90 RBI for 20 years he deserves it.

And let’s not use his chronological age. Let’s use service time. Just because he started earlier doesn’t mean he’ll have a longer career.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I don't have a dog in this Harper fight, but I'd point out that he's just now hitting his physical prime and could get better going forward. I'm not saying it will happen, but it could.

3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

It's funny. Those double, homer and RBI numbers are pretty similar to Sosa's, though Harper will have two more seasons under his belt under your hypothetical. The only thing Harper does better is walk more. How's Sosa's candidacy going?

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Way to cherry pick. You know why Sosa's candidacy is the way it is.

5. Regan MacNeil

Because of moralizing douchebag baseball writers? How do they feel about Harper?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Well unless Harper gets banned for PEDs, I don't think they are going to care like they do against Sosa.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Eh, I don't know about that. Sabermetrics has shown that a player's prime is much earlier than conventional wisdom had it. This observation is an average so it may not apply to outliers like players who break in at 19, but Harper doesn't have the break-out, superstar stats that 19- and 20-year old HoFers had by 26.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No. Only if you are convinced the poor Yankees don’t get enough respect.
    Give the Yankee Comeback Player of the Year. Spare me MVP talk.
    I’m not fully aware of what WAR entails or how it is calculated, but Trout’s is 2 wins ahead of any other AL player’s. That’s statistically substantial.
    He has a chance to lead the league in HR, RBI, OBP, Slugging, OPS etc. If DJ LeMahieu were posting these numbers for an outstanding Mariners team, one with the same record as the sainted Yankees, nobody would be paying attention.

9. Regan MacNeil

Harper has one season with video game numbers, one season with great numbers (but he missed 50 games) and some other very good seasons.

Aside from his one MVP, he has one other finish in the top-15 (12th).

It seems, at best, Della thinks he'll make it as a compiler, since he broke in at 19 and will (theoretically) play 20 years. Even fellow writers don't see much greatness in him. He can't play defense, he doesn't run the bases well and has had a problem staying healthy. But he walks a lot and has power. That was enough for Jim Thome. Maybe it will be enough for Harper, if absolutely nothing goes wrong for the rest of his career and he continues on this exact pace.

10. tapintoamerica

11. tapintoamerica

He can be both. Because of when he started, he’s going to compile huge numbers.

12. Regan MacNeil

Is he? I'm trying to figure out Della's definition of Harper's "worst full season."

Because Harper played 147 games in 2016 and hit just 24 homers. I'd consider 147 games a full season.

If he's using 2018 as the definition of "full season," Christ, talk about cherry-picking.

Draft saved Draft deleted