1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 MLB postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Oct 1, 2019.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who’s better? Only two clear upgrades on the market are Maddon (we know where he’s going) and Girardi. Maybe Hurdle.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Hurdle's not an upgrade on Roberts, unless your preference is for redass managers who like their pitchers to throw at opposing hitters.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Buck Showalter. Once known as antagonistic to players, he earned Manny Machado’s endorsement for the Padres job. Built Diamondbacks from nothing. Revived Orioles. Won with Rangers.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If hire Showalter in a minute.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Has he even won a playoff series? I can’t remember. He certainly crapped the bed a couple years ago with the way he managed that wild card game. Also he hasn’t managed a big-market club since he was with the Yankees, and they weren’t the Yankees then.

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Yep. The Orioles swept the Tigers in 2014.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Dallas isn't a big market? It's No. 5.
    I'm all alone on this one, but I don't have a problem with Buck's management of that Wild Card game in 2016. If you use Britton in the ninth and 10th, you still have to get to a place where Ubaldo Jimenez or some lesser guy is on the mound at the end. And that's because the Orioles didn't get the ball out of the infield after the sixth inning. Or something close to that. Can't win if you can't score when the game is tied.
    Even Buck has said he probably erred in that game, and it's highly unusual to make the decision he did. But I don't think it made a difference.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Buck would be good for the Phillies IMO, and it fits that they'd go for a veteran after taking a flyer on a rookie who IMO they gave up early on.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Baker's son is entering his junior year at Cal, so that may keep him on the sidelines.
    Yes, it's this spawn of Dusty.
    [​IMG]

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I guess it's safe to say: Nothing happening in St. Louis.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is silly, you left your best pitcher on the bench in an elimination game. You need to get there to even worry about it. It’s archaic logic to only use your closer when leading. Use them in high impact situations, I would say that was one.

Draft saved Draft deleted