1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Galloping Triple Crown thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Is the sport obsolete?" stories usually lead with people playing penny slot machines instead of making $2 place bets, but it is a bit different when you've got so many horses dying. The state of Florida got rid of greyhound racing (effective at the end of 2020), so one can't say that governments today won't ever put an end to a sport.

But onto happier topics ... anyone got a live underdog for Saturday?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The answer to the question is yes.

I was watching an equestrian event from (I think) MSG on CBS Sports network yesterday and it occurred to me that you can indeed have horse-based sporting events that don't tend to kill off the competitors.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My brother, who can read the ink off a Racing Form, really likes By My Standards and Spinoff as horses who can not only light up the board in exotics but have a chance to win. He thinks Win, Win, Win can be a factor if it can overcome the bad starts it has been plagued with in the past - not a good trend in a huge field.

playthrough likes this.
  5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm picking Valentine
    Cause on the morning line
    The guy has got him figured at 5 to 9

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Scratch Omaha Beach.

9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

You can find cruel practices in any equine sport and there are some that have had issues with horse deaths (google eventing or endurance).

I think the difference is that these other horse sports are just that, where it’s more ego and competition that’s driving things, while thoroughbred racing truly is an industry today. There are tons of excellent horse people involved in racing, but it is also a business and, as such, the horses need to pay for themselves. This means racing them before their bones are fully formed, racing too frequently, the overuse of drugs. Running horses younger and in shorter races puts the premium on speed over endurance and the bone required to sustain horses in longer races. This in turn promotes a gene pool in American horses that favors less over more bone, which in turn produces a more breakable horse.

There also is a smaller market for retired or unsuccessful racing thoroughbreds than when I started riding. Almost everyone rode them back in the day. Today, warmbloods predominate in dressage, jumping and eventing, although I think if the US was still producing a lot of “sportier” thoroughbreds, you’d see more in jumping and eventing.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted