1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 1, 2019.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can anybody name an NBA star who was handed a college head coaching job with no previous college coaching experience and succeeded long term?

Failures:
    Chris Mullin
    Avery Johnson
    Clyde Drexler
    Isiah Thomas

Time will tell
    Penny Hardaway
    Patrick Ewing

I must be overlooking someone.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Dan Majerle is 123-72?

I mean, here's the thing, most coaches fail. Most first-time college coaches really fail. Longterm success is a rarity. NBA stars are going to start late, have the resources to back out if needed.

4. tapintoamerica

Forgot re Majerle. Good call.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Terry Porter is struggling at Portland. Damon Stoudemire spent some time as a UA assistant before getting the Pacific gig.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Mullin seemed to have things going in the right direction. It took a while to get there, but St. John’s was in a really bad place.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I don't think that Sidney Lowe qualifies as an "NBA star," but he played in the league and was given a college head coaching job without having coached at the college level. He failed spectacularly.

8. franticscribe

From what I hear, Matta still isn't healthy enough to get back in the game. Sad. He's a phenomenal coach.

9. tapintoamerica

And much as Juwan Howard would be, he was hired exclusively and entirely because he was one of them, a Wolfpack guy. ("A Michigan Man will coach Michigan," etc.)
    Yes, Lowe should definitely be on the list. What these guys have in common -- aside from their utter of lack of qualifications for a job that is heavy on recruiting -- is their financial security. They don't need the gig and don't need to succeed in it in order to be beloved by a large group of fans somewhere.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Sidney Moncrief went 4-24 in his one season at Arkansas-Little Rock. The story goes that in the midst of what would be a 16-game losing streak, they played at Denver. The rest of the team returned to Little Rock, and Moncrief and his family stayed in Colorado to go skiing.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

IIRC- Didn't Stoudemire have 2 AC stints at Memphis (NCAA)?

12. franticscribe

I don't know why I didn't think about him earlier, but Fred Hoiberg.

Draft saved Draft deleted