1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 College Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 27, 2019.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Can't have BYU in there because it screws up the TV schedule with no Sunday games.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yet their men’s golf team played on Sunday in the NCAA tournament. I’m confused on what the university or church stance is on this issue.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Golf is god’s Sport.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised it was that low. They played 10 of their 26 non-conference games against teams in the top 100 and had early-season wins over national seeds Texas Tech and East Carolina. A neutral site game against Nebraska was rained out, so I guess that doesn't count, but it still didn't seem like a terrible schedule.

And I don't think anybody's crying for Missouri. Just pointing out that it's pretty strange for a top 30 RPI team to get left out.
    Frankly, I think it's a joke that Florida (No. 27) got in. I think their SOS was really high, but they were still a sub-.500 team in the SEC.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OSU had made provisions to start the regional on Thursday if BYU made it and was sent here. That's a "reasonable accommodation" they apparently could not make for the golf tournament, when the course has a limited availability.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first national seed goes down, and there will be a new national champion for the eighth year in a row. Oregon State loses 4-1 to Creighton and goes two-and-barbecue on its home field. Announcers said it's the first time since 1985, something like 12 appearances, that Oregon State has not won a game in the NCAA Tournament.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Beavers looked like they expected to just show up and win. Creighton, however, did make some good plays on defense, diving catches in the outfield and catches against the fence. Pitched well, too, obviously.

8. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Oregon State's bigger issue was yesterday. They blew that one not once, but twice. I really thought when they took the lead they'd cruise to the win. I'm guessing seedwise Creighton and OSU weren't tons apart, so not a huge upset, but of course Creighton was on the road. Still pretty interesting performance. Only seeded team to lose their first game, too, and obviously the first one totally out.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Baylor beat Omaha 24-6 in the Los Angeles Regional. Baylor's Shea Langaliers went 5-for-6 with three home runs, one double, one walk and 11 RBIs. In his last at-bat in the ninth inning he blasted a ball down the left field line that went about 450 feet but sailed foul, then struck out looking.
    The 11 RBIs is an NCAA Tournament single-game record.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OSU overachieved for 2/3rd of the season, then underachieved the last 1/3. Losing three first-round draft picks (four in regards to ability if you include undrafted Luke Heimlich), a fifth-rounder, a 10th-rounder and another three-year starter from the 2018 team meant a total rebuild. Then in March you lose a guy who won four games at the CWS, makes it tough. Probably should have been a No. 2 seed at a road regional.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last time Stony Brook went down to Baton Rouge, it upset LSU in a super regional.
    This time it got outscored 30-8 in two games against LSU and Arizona State.
    Nothing like seeing Cinderella get absolutely bitch slapped by the evil stepsisters.

That's a weird regional so far, too. They're 3 1/2 games in and so far the average margin of victory is about 11 runs.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted