1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Name any 25 All Star Game outfielders completely at random from 1970-1995. A minimum of 22 players on every list will be better than Baines.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Let’s not go crazy.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I believe they aren't allowed to talk about what goes on the room.

4. Della9250

A theory being put out there is that he got in on throwaway votes -- I like this guy so I'll give him a vote, not thinking it will make a difference -- and he got exactly enough of those to go with the four guys who have connections to him that were abosultely going to vote for him.

5. CD Boogie

Aren't they all in one room discussing candidates? Their votes aren't made in private, no?

6. Della9250

They are in a room discussing candidates. I believe it is like the Football Hall where they write down their choices on a secret ballot and then the votes are tabulated.

7. CD Boogie

Well, you can see how that could go sideways...
    What's the use in discussing stuff if it's then going to be a secret ballot. People should be aware of where the voting stands. Let them be unduly influenced.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Peter King does a decent job of talking a little about what goes on in the football HOF room as far as arguments on candidates, without revealing voting. Wish Kurkjian (or someone) could shed some light.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Rusty Staub, Amos Otis, Tony Oliva, Al Oliver, Dale Murphy

Not saying they are objective HOFers but they were as good as Baines. And they played defense

There are 544 major leaguers who have higher career WAR than Baines

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. CD Boogie

That's a name you never hear mentioned with the HOF, either: Amos Otis.

Baines, I have to believe, got in solely on the strength of his career hits total. I kind of feel bad for him because a lot of columnists and talking heads are going ballistic about his election. Nobody deserves that. He was a damn fine player and I always marveled at his plate coverage. When he was batting, I constantly thought, 'Pound the outside corner.'

But damn if he couldn't cover it, even though he stood so far from the plate that it seemed impossible.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I did 1980 to 1999, which was when baines was playing: here are my 25

Barry bonds
    Andre Dawson
    Tim Raines
    Jim rice
    Dwight Evans
    Ken Griffey
    Jose canseco
    Juan Gonzalez
    Brett Butler
    rickey Henderson
    Gary Sheffield
    Dave Winfield
    Paul O’Neill
    Joe Carter
    Dave Justice
    sammy Sosa
    Kirby Puckett
    Jim Edmonds
    Darryl Strawberry
    Larry Walker
    Tony Gwynn
    Dale Murphy
    Kenny Lofton
    Andy Van Slyke
    Dave Parker

This list doesn’t include guys like Fred Lynn, al Oliver and Reggie Jackson, who were better players, but careers as great players barely overlap with baines. I could probably go with a next 10 of willie Wilson, willie McGee, Danny tartabull, Jose Cruz, Tom Brunansky, Dante Bichette, Ellis burks, Ron Gant, ruben Sierra and Eric Davis and feel comfortable with them over baines.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not saying "Baines sucked"; he was a good player, a borderline star in his best seasons.

A solid pick for the Hall of Pretty Good.

Draft saved Draft deleted