1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Pete Rose is out, for me. RE: suspected PED users, I’d have waited until their last year of candidacy to see if any proof came out. If not, I’d have probably voted for them.

But I wouldn’t vote for any player who failed a test.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Half the damn Hall used amphetamines. Why do they get a pass?

FileNotFound, JC and sgreenwell like this.
  3. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

You let one person in who failed a test and there goes the argument to keep all the others out.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Clemens and Bonds enhanced their already HOF careers. Palmier0 and Sosa created HOF careers out of someone else’s chemistry set, they weren’t getting in without it

Ortiz has bettter offensive numbers than Reggie Jackson, but if PEDs made Ortiz a 15% better player, he would not have a HOF career

5. Regan MacNeil

You have no idea when Clemens and Bonds started using PEDs.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I have an idea, I just dont know for a fact. My idea is that he started using low level PEDs o get strength after the 96 season and well hard core in 1999. If you discount what Clens did after he left Toronto, he’s a HOF.

I have an idea Bonds started during or after the 1999 season.

7. Regan MacNeil

So you're guessing. Cool.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ortiz is going to waltz into the Hall on the votes of many who wouldn't ever vote for Bonds or Clemens. Why? He was always a media favorite. Not excepting myself, either, I liked him a lot when I covered him. But that's the difference, and that's the corruption of the BBWAA.

FileNotFound and heyabbott like this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Anyone who fails a test for amphetamines is disqualified from consideration, too. Guys who are already in? What can we do? I'm not advocating for anyone, not even steroids guys, to be removed from the HOF. I don't think we should induct known users after they've been caught. Crazy, I know.

10. Regan MacNeil

PEDs were not against the rules when Ortiz, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc. were caught using. It's the administering of ex post facto law. That's un-American. Crazy, I know.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't understand that part of your argument - Shouldn't you be for removing people that have been found to use? Like if Rivera came out tomorrow and said, "Hey guys, by the way - I was dirty the last 10 years, and I apologize for it before I go in," you'd still be OK with him going in? What about someone like Gaylord Perry?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ortiz failed a test for using PEDs. I'm not saying he doesn't belong, but no way in hell he should be in if Bonds and Clemens are out.

I think all three should be in, but it is an absolute joke if Ortiz gets in and Bonds and Clemens do not.

sgreenwell likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted