1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Maybe read the roster of every team in 1980 start to finish. Then pause. Ask “how many of them were all stars in 1999?” Walks off stage.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I realize numbers dominate baseball discussion now - "the gut" has been banished to the farthest reaches of the planet wisdom replaced by nerds from the Ivy League. And I'm okay with that. I'm okay with managers being hired to be "buddies", who lack "the necessities" as Al Campanis said, but still get dugout jobs because they "vibe" with the thirty-two year old GM who doesn't want to be intimidated by a guy who has been filling out lineup cards since they were in diapers.
    That said - I'm cool with Harold Baines HoFer - it's not like he was a jerk, he played well for a long time. Hope this bodes well for Edgar Martinez.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Or he reads the entire MLB rule book. This needs to happen. I will pay for his water and cups.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

You heard right. You can take the vote seriously.

It's the over-the-top whining and rip-job reactions that look bad. If people dont agree with my picks, fine.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The vote isn’t taken seriously if they are putting in Baines. That should bother people who do take it seriously.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I agree. The BBWAA should be insulted -- why should they take the time to vote if a committee of cronies will do their own thing a few years later? And Baines was not a borderline case with the writers.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"I've got a lot of problems with you people! I've been quiet for 30 years and now you're all going to sit there and listen to Harold Baines talk!"

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Has the Veterans Committee ever been larger than its current composition? Why not have all living Hall of Famers (who are still cognitively operative) vote on induction? That way a cabal like LaRussa, Reinsdorf and Gillick can't unduly influence an outcome.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

David Lennon with a doozy vote -- Bonds, Clemens and Rivera. He also dropped Edgar, Mussina and Schilling from last year

12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Will have to look at bill James on the hall when I get home, but I want to say there was a group of about 30 to 40 in the early days of the hall to review pre-1900 players. I also could be completely misremembering since the various vet committees went through various permeations.

Draft saved Draft deleted