1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

With more and more guys making huge bucks coming off their ELCs (i.e., fewer bridge deals and more long term ones), I suspect the PA chose not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I suppose there’s more to it than just that, however.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The NHL has been doing pretty well. Revenues have been steadily increasing, mostly because they have done a decent job of bringing in sponsorship bucks. That gives them a bigger pie to divide up. You have Seattle about to come in, a new TV deal soon on deck, and even though the ratings aren't like the other major sports, rights fees in general have been going up, so they should be seeing more money.

Add it all together, and maybe the calculation was that right now both sides are benefiting from a golden goose, and they didn't want to make the mistake of doing anything to potentially damage it by creating a potentially contentious situation?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The salary cap is stagnant and apart from the expansion revenue I don’t think the league has done a great job of generating new revenue. With salaries tied to revenue the cap would be significantly higher if they were.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the PA decided it wasn't ready to fight right now, then three years isn't that long of a breathing space to prepare for one.

6. The Big Ragu

Revenues for the league are up more than 75 percent over the last 10 years. There has been a particularly marked increase every year since the lockout in 2012.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/the-buzzer/the-buzzer-dec-6-nhl-profit-1.4935474

Sponsorship revenue has grown at a very good clip, especially on the back of the Adidas deal.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/nhl-sponsorships-richer-than-they-think

The salary cap gets set as a percentage of the revenue the league takes in, which is why I speculated that the decision was to avoid upsetting the apple cart while things are going relatively well, and trying to negotiate from a non-contentious place instead.

But I am not privy to what Donald Fehr or most players are actually thinking, it was an educated guess.

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

8. The Big Ragu

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

Sorry to hear that.

Smoking like a chimney, including in between periods when he was playing, probably didn't help.

I hope he's OK.

He had such a mystique as a player when I was a kid and only got to see the Canadians a couple of times a year.

Liut and OscarMadison like this.
  11. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’ll bet I’m the only one on this board who has been to Calumet, site of tonight’s Wings-Blues Hockeyville USA game

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Calumet, WI? I’ve seen Making a Murderer so I feel line I’ve been there.

Draft saved Draft deleted