1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I am bordering on shocked Hossa got in, let alone in his first year.

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think they’re in a candidate slump.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a, we don't want to put certain guys in -- especially those without Cups. I don't know enough about hockey HOF stuff compared to the other three major sports but how is it that some of these guys go in but Roenick isn't in, that Mogilny isn't in, that Tkchuck isn't in, that Turgeon isn't in, that a guy who is the best player in a franchise's history, Patrick Elias isn't in? Osgood or Joseph for goalies?

You're going to tell me players like Guy Carbonneau and Mark Lowe deserve to be in over them or a guy like Hossa skates in on the first try but they have to wait?

I get they do smaller classes compared to the other ones, and I get there are only six guys on the ice to pick from, but you would think that would make for better classes, not worse ones.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The HHOF committee is a lot more closed-door and old-boy than the baseball Hall, and that leads to some real head scratchers.

I don’t know if there’s a rule that they have to induct a certain number every year, but I wouldn’t be surprised. That would explain Kevin Lowe and his lone 10-goal season getting in 22 years after his last game.

Is Charlie Huddy next?

JC likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

6. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Jumping in after years of lurking.

The HHoF committee is the last bastion of old guard “hockey men”. If you even suggest to Lanny McDonald that there should be some transparency in the process he lashes out.

I hear Pierre McGuire on the radio regularly, and he can barely say anything about the process. It’s beyond secretive.

I was a huge Carbonneau fan, and be played a role that has kind of disappeared. He did win three individual awards. I still thought he was a bad pick. Lowe is a much worse pick.

There seems to be a logjam of good not great players right now. Elias, Alfredsson, Roenick, Tkachuk, Fleury, Brind’amour and likely more I’m overlooking. Sedins coming next year, I think Sundin as well. I’m a little surprised Hossa jumped the pack but it’s obvious winning Cups is critical.

One thing that I observe in hockey discussions is that they like compilers.

Edit Sundin is already in not sure why I was confused

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Osgood isn’t a Hall of Famer
    Of the three Cup goalies, he was No.3, behind Hasek and Vernon
    Vernon has a better case than Osgood
    Two interesting cases coming up are Datsyuk and Zetterberg
    Both should make it but maybe not right away
    I loved Hossa
    Wish Wings had kept him instead of Franzen

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Tighthead

We are getting into an era of non-dominant goalies and it is going to be interesting to see how they play out.

Some people see Luongo as a no brainer, I have seen others doubtful on his qualifications. I'm fine with Vernon, Joseph and Osgood all being on the outside.

Price is a long way away. I'm a Habs fan and think he is a little overrated, but he seems to have the unquestioned blessing of the hockey world and that is important. I suspect Lundquist will make it. The way the game is played now it seems like there are lots of good goalies, but nobody is dominant for very long.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I would love to see the argument against Luongo.

the HHOF voting is a farce. Kevin Lowe getting in because he was luck enough to be drafted by the Oilers is a joke. He was a good defenseman who never once finished on the top 5 year in Norris voting. Is he a hall of famer if he plays those years on a terrible hockey team instead of with one of the most talented teams of all time?

The old hockey men strike again.

10. Tighthead

The arguments I have heard against Luongo are no Vezina, only twice on the All Star Team (second both times) and lack of playoff success. I'm really not sure how to evaluate him and goalies are becoming really difficult. My initial thought when he retired was that he would go in.

Lowe is a terrible pick. Gretzky has apparently been lobbying for him, and I suspect selectors like Kurri, Burke, Clarke, Gartner and McDonald give significant weight to those sort of intangibles. McDonald runs that show with an iron first and I don't think dissent is encouraged or welcome. At least two of those I named are notorious grudge holders and shouldn't be involved.

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Can't believe people are questioning Hossa. 525 goals, 1100+ points, good on both ends of the ice, key figure on 3 Cup teams.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

One of the most under the radar great players of his generation

Regan MacNeil likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted