1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not a good look at all. He'll be an easy guy to shed if the season restarts, as he was in and out of the lineup as it was.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think he played after Kovalchuk joined. He won't be missed.
    You can't call your linemates losers and that wasn't even the worst thing he said.
    Stupid is huge here.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

An asshole, but at least he didn't try to deny it or avoid owning it.

That said, though, the apology kind of read like, "Yesterday my friend's Instagram account was hacked and man am I busted. I fully recognize how inappropriate and offensive my comments were, but please understand, I never would have said them if I knew they'd be made public. I am commited to learning from this, and making sure never to get caught again. Sorry everyone."

4. Moderator1

Hacked. That old standard.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Leipsic gone.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

His brother was kicked off the University of Manitoba hockey team yesterday

7. Moderator1

AMF

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

On this date 50 years ago, Bobby Orr scored one of the most historic goals in NHL history.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

AHL cancels the rest of the regular season and the Calder Cup playoffs. Not surprising, but I don't necessarily think it signals a death knell for the NHL's chances of returning in some capacity this year. I can't see any scenario where any minor league plays anything this year. Television isn't a factor for them and everything is tied to gate revenue.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NHL and NBA both need to just ditch the idea that the regular season can be finished out and try to figure a way to have some sort of shortened playoffs (maybe double-elimination conference playoffs followed by best of 7 championship finals).

Or just write off the whole thing and come back in the fall.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Too much money involved. Especially in the NBA, where as long as you get to 70 games you fulfill the RSN contracts. NHL stands to lose half a billion if it doesn't finish its regular season, and that's with no fans in the stands.

Shit isn't going to be normal in October, either, so thinking of it in terms of the regular framework of seasons is pointless. If the NHL plays until September and can't restart until December, so be it.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

NHL is looking at a 24-team playoff. Could change. But that’s the current target, I think. Would expect expanded rosters, 5-10 AHLers per organization

Draft saved Draft deleted