1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most of the emergency goalies don't have that kind of association with the NHL club. In the case of the guy who suited up in the middle of a game with the Blackhawks 2 years ago, he was one of several former goalies who took turns being the emergency goalie. They show up with their gear, drop it off downstairs and then sit in the press box or they get a ticket. 99.9 percent of the time they get fed, watch a game, head back down and get their gear and go home. The Blackhawks guy was a former NCAA level goalie who was playing in rec leagues at Johnny's Ice House. He wasn't associated with the Blackhawks prior to that game.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Loved Kase, but he was always hurt. Exciting, hustle guy. He has had several concussions. Now, they claimed he had the flu, but he has been out more than 2 weeks. The Bruins immediately put him on IR. He was hit in the head by Jake Muzzin on Feb. 7. The hit apparently give Kase the flu. He is likeable and fearless, and that might be a problem. He mucks it up with bigger guys and winds up hurt.
    Backes might not have anything left. He said he will be driven to prove people wrong, but he hasn't skated since the Bruins waived him. He has done off-ice work, but not skating. His first time on the ice since being waived was Sunday's Ducks skate-around. The Ducks are home for another week and they hope he might be able to play by next Sunday. Bruins picked up $1.5m of his $6m for next season so the Ducks are taking a reasonable cap hit. The first-round pick will be in the 28-31 range, not great. The Ducks will be in the lottery with their own pick. Apparently, leadership is a problem with only Getzlaf filling that role. The other veterans aren't. Backes, a former captain of the Blues, can help there. I don't know anything about the prospect, Andersson, except that he is a right-handed defenseman, which is an area of need for the Ducks.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

an absolute great deal for the Bruins. I can’t believe someone took on that Backes deal and gave up a quality player as well.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1. I’d like to imagine that, in the old days of one goalie on he tram, they just had the PA announcer yell out, “Is there a goalie in the house?”

5. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Casual fan caveat.
    There were rumors about Kreider and Palmieri. Why Kase? Age? The Backes's contract?

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The price tag for Kreider would have been huge. Getting rid of Backes allows them some flexibility come the summer as well. Getting Kase and dumping Backes was a great job.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

As I'm sure Jake from State Farm is already aware, longtime Detroit trainer Lefty Wilson used to be the Red Wings' emergency goalkeeper.

Jake from State Farm likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was even worth a first round pick to do it. I agree. I thought they'd be lucky to get some used pucks to dump Backes.

Liut likes this.
  9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Athanasiou to the Oilers
    McDavid’s new linemate

10. The Big Ragu

Granted, I don't get to see Athanasiou much, and with the small sample size I was working with over the past few years, he looked all-world every time I saw him. But my sense is, if you put him next to McDavid or Leon Draisaitl (but especially McDavid), he is going to break out. Guess we'll see.

11. The Big Ragu

Last night and this morning, a bunch of reports, including from Larry Brooks, were saying that the Rangers and Kreider were too far apart and I needed to prepare for them to rip the team apart. And then they got it done! Sounds like they both compromised. The Rangers gave him 7 years, Kreider took way less per year than he would have gotten on the open market. That contract may be an albatross for the last 2 or 3 years, but I am glad they did it. They don't need more draft picks or prospects. That was what the last few years gave them. They actually have a really good top 6 now, and letting Kreider go would have blown a hole in it that they could not replace.

Unfortunately, now they are going to have to shed some guys who are about to get paid to make Kreider work. I love Jesper Fast, but they are not going to be able to afford his next contract. Tony D'Angelo will probably have to go, too. Or if they can find someone interested in Brady Skjei -- their defensive prospects are better than up front. Then there are the potential buyouts of Brendan Smith, Mark Staal and Henrik, although those are problematic toop. I am sure they'd love to trade Smith or Staal if there is a contender looking to sure up defensively, but their contracts are way too big, so the Rangers will have to eat some if that is going to happen. And Henrik? The situation just sucks. I am sure they would love for him to just retire, but he should be able to go out on his own terms.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He has the speed to hang with McDavid but there’s a reason he’s -45, even with a shitty team

Draft saved Draft deleted