1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Some salary cap "addendum" always seems to turn up. One I saw recently was when I was reading about Corey Perry's buyout. If a player is injured for more than 100 days, they can sign a smaller contract that can be loaded with bonuses. Who knew??

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Godspeed, Brooks Orpik. It was time.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Erik Cole would not disagree.

Really want to know what's behind dealing Calvin de Haan to Chicago for a younger, not-as-skilled D and a backup goalie at best.

Supposedly, this will save more than the Marleau buyout will cost. But, unless it means they either shop for other players and/or re-sign Petr Mrazek and get Sebastian Aho re-upped, it's just another cheap maneuver by Tom Dundon. Guess we'll find out ...

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

5. Sam Mills 51

Interesting ... no Rod Brind'Amour - which is turning into a sore spot for some in Raleigh - but JR (not SJ's version, as highly as I regard him) gets in.

Makes sense. Win a Cup with two different teams leaves a strong legacy. Putting up with Peter Karmanos' quirks and epic cheapness is almost reason alone ...

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Anything on the Bruins trading players? A sports station and some blogs are bleating about trading Backes to a team needing to reach the cap floor. Another theme is trading Krejci or Krug for cap space.

8. Sam Mills 51

If they're tight against the cap, it could have legs. I think Sweeney has done it before, and Chiarelli before him in Boston.

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Krug is going to make a ton when he’s up next summer. Trading him saves 5.25 this season and maybe 7.5 for the next eight. It would really hurt to lose the guy, but...

I don’t see how Backes is still a Bruin in September. Buying him out seems a no brainer, I think they’d save $4M this year.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No one but no one is interested in Backes, so a buyout is the only option.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not true. Teams that need to meet the cap floor, or have cap space willing to take a pick or a player for him might. You may have to add a sweetener to get rid of the contract but it’s possible.

Or offer to the Canucks they might even give you a pick for him. #Stupidestteaminsports

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Bob Clarke (who is on the HHOF Committee) fought very hard for Carbonneau. Thought he was a game-changing defensive player in an offensive age

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted