1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Did he have an earlier book out? Am intrigued by this one, but if these are "leftover" stories from a previous book, and there may be some stories held back for another book in the future, I may pass.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Eruzione can't monetize his Olympic glory unless there are people willing to pay for it. I have no idea if anyone will be interested in his book, but the fact that he has lived off of a moment in time demonstrates how important that team was to people and how big a moment in sports history his goal was. I can't criticize him. He wasn't an NHL caliber player. What was he supposed to do next, get a job as a car salesman? Would that make him any more noble somehow? As long as he can earn money that way, it ain't hurting any of us.

HanSenSE and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I met him a few years ago and had a drink with him. Came off as a very good guy and he knew it would never get better for him than that moment and he's done his level best to make the most of it. Good for him. Seize the day and all that, make it last forever.

That game was one of the favorite moments of my life. I told him, I still smile every time I think about it, still go nuts every time I see a clip of the goal.

A number of those guys went on and had very successful NHL careers. A good debate would be to argue who was the best. Many had more in their hockey careers - didn't Morrow win four Cups? Eruzione had that goal and he sure as hell capitalized.

I bow down to him.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And this pops up in my Twitter feed today.

OscarMadison and Liut like this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

OK, milk it for all it's worth, not that car salesman isn't legit work. Maybe Eruzione, who does seem like a nice fellow, has no particular job skill other than fundraising for Boston University. I have no idea.

Clearly I'm in the minority here. He is monetizing off a team accomplishment from 40 years ago. I find it somewhat sleazy.

Fact is, Bill Baker scored the most important U.S. goal of that tournament. Baker went on to become an oral surgeon, so he probably doesn't need the dough.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

From someone who grew up around Boston, Eruzione's bit came to be outsized as time passed on. He made money where he could, but his image after a while was not flattering. There was a sense he was a guy recalling his high school sports accomplishments. Eruzione's accomplishments were much greater, but there is still a limit to hearing about it and people question why the star still has to do it.

Liut likes this.
  7. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Paul Henderson is on a stamp, which is totally cool.

Mike Eruzione can write as many books as he wants.

The NHL brought the ’80 team to the 2002 All-Star Game in L.A., which was a couple of weeks before the Salt Lake City Olympics. It turned out to be the final time they were all together (Herb died in August 2003). Interviewing Silk, O’Callahan, Wells, McClanahan, et al., is the closest I’ve been to star struck in 35 years of doing this.

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

SuriusXM NHL Network Radio reports the New Jersey Devils have hired Gerard Gallant as new head coach. Scott Stevens will reportedly be among Gallant's assistant coaches.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Oops. Turns out not to be true. Apparently the story originated from a fake Twitter account.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Who was on NHL Network Radio when they reported it?

11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Of Miracles and Men, the 30 for 30 documentary about the Lake Placid game from the Russians' point of view is available on ESPN+.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I feel almost the same. I was 12 for those Olympics and really got into it, and I was really into hockey, because I grew up within the shadow of the Nassau Colliseum and the Islanders were getting really good and I started to learn about the sport on my own. So I was particularly into the hockey. I also got into the speed skating because of Eric Heiden, and generally loved watching the ski, luge, bobsled type of sports you didn't get to see a lot of here. To this day, I actually prefer the winter games to the summer games more people care about, and it's largely because of those Olympics.

At that time, I probably felt about the same about Eruzione as you do. Seeing that goal and his celebration still gives me goose bumps. My feelings about him now are maybe a bit more ambivalent, but that is more circumstantial (I'll do another post about how I feel about Eruzione now. ... anyone should skip if it's TL or they don't care about my personal history. :) ). But I don't begrudge him anything that olympics has given him and still continues to give him. Good on him.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted