1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Almost to the All-Star break (two games tonight) ... let's have fun with what we think the playoff field will look like come the second week of April. Feel free to quote this in three months to mock it.

EAST
    M1 Washington vs. W2 Philadelphia
    M2 Pittsburgh vs. M3 Carolina
    A1 Tampa Bay vs. W1 N.Y. Islanders
    A2 Boston vs. A3 Florida

Leafs are so banged up on D (where they weren't good to begin with), I can see them really struggling to catch Florida for third, though it will be close. I think the two wild cards will be super close between Carolina, Columbus and Philly but I think the Jackets lose out by a nose hair.

WEST
    C1 St. Louis vs. W2 Nashville
    C2 Colorado vs. C3 Dallas
    P1 (throws darts) Vancouver? vs. W1 Vegas
    P2 Edmonton vs. P3 Arizona

Good luck trying to prognosticate the Pacific. That P3 could easily be one of five teams. Nashville has only played 47 games where most of the other WC contenders have played 50-52, so I'll take the Preds to get their shit together and sneak in to the last wild card spot, where they'll be a bitch of an out for the defending champs.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Dunno. Columbus has been playing like a playoff team the last month or so. If I was going to assign the odd team out in the East out of the teams you picked, it would be the Flyers. I also expect Toronto to be right there till the end for a spot. I think the East is pretty tight. I have seen the Islanders 3 times over the last week and a half against the Rangers. They play hard and don't allow much space, but I can see them dropping down or even out of it.

I'll go with Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston and Tampa, Columbus, Carolina, Florida and Toronto. I'm not going to try to predict an order.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

All I really noticed without research is that the awful Pacific Division has 5 teams with more points than fourth-place Winnipeg in the Central. Wonder if the awful Pacific can nab both wild cards in the West.

Liut likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And none of them would qualify for the playoffs in the East as it stands. Mediocre might be a better word for it.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

True and true.

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Oops, misfired. I would not be at all surprised if the two wild cards come from the Pacific.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

He didn't play in the NHL, but Mike Eruzione continues to monetize the 1980 Olympics. He's got another book out. Has earned who knows how many thousands of $$$ on the lecture/speaking circuit. Jim Craig, too.

I know for a fact there's resentment among some former teammates. Hopefully, Eruzione and/or Craig are helping Mark Pavelich in some way, if nothing else helping with his legal bills.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

More and more I think about it, you may be right against Columbus. Would rather they didn't make it. That's the one team I can see beating the Caps in round 1 (assuming that the Penguins don't fall to the WC, which I don't see happening). I probably shouldn't assume the Caps winning the Metro, either, considering they still have four (!) games left with Pittsburgh.

I forgot about the Dougie Hamilton injury in Carolina too. That's a huge blow for the Canes.

11. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

I have seen comments from 1980 teammates that seemed to reflect perhaps some resentment, but more a sense of bemusement about how Eruzione has continued to live a life so singularly focused on one moment in 1980. Most of those guys seem to appreciate what they did but also understand that it shouldn't define their whole lives.

justgladtobehere and Liut like this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Eruzione is my idol. He has not done a day's work since the Miracle on Ice and he's made a good living at it.

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted