1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Apparently, the Leafs and MLSE were in such a cap fix that it had to attach their 2020 first-round pick (protected top-10 ... will delay to 2021 if that's the case) to Patrick Marleau to get the Whalercanes to take his $6.25M cap hit. Reports claims that Carolina still has $21M in cap space even after taking the contract. Also, rumors mixed that he could be bought out, and that Waddell will try to sell Marleau on Raleigh.

Elliotte? Anyone else?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And the dumbest management team in sports is at again. The Lightning are in a cap he’ll and the Canucks take on JT Miller and his 5.2 per salary for 4 years and give the Lightning a first and a third. Jim Benning being part of the old boys club saves him from being criticized by the house media national broadcasters up here.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He’ll be bought out. What a great move for the Canes.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Rumor here is he's headed back to San Jose.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Had trouble understanding how Miller and Marleau both netted first-round draft picks in return. Salary cap deals are way too confusing.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Marleau didn’t net one, the Leafs gave one to Carolina to take him. Miller can be explained by the moron who traded for him. He’s just an awful GM.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I think I read a poorly written story this morning before my coffee kicked in on Marleau. And I was just astounded that Miller brought a first-rounder. When I saw Travis Green interviewed at the draft today, he said how thrilled he was. Nevertheless, I always liked him. Company man, eh?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Toronto was in such cap hell, and his $6.25M figure they'll recoup will used in an attempt to extend Mitch Marner, that it had to attach a first-round pick to get that stink bomb contract off the books.

In other words, not even attaching an "available for free" sign and placing him on the curb for pickup was attracting a market. So a first-round pick went with him to Raleigh. Tom Dundon gets to claim he was willing to spend money, while paying his buyout and remaining a budget team.

What the Whalercanes need to do is stop screwing around and make sure Sebastian Aho is signed to a long-term he has unquestionably earned to this point.

Don Waddell supposedly will try to sell him on the Whalercanes. Guess here is it doesn't work, and he takes his buyout and signs back at San Jose in a team-friendly deal.

ChrisLong likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The salary cap is an abomination. You could make an all-star team out of the players the Blackhawks had to jettison due to the cap.

And they only really had two big free-agent signings, Hossa and Campbell. The rest were homegrown.

I would, however, support a luxury tax or a soft cap. You can't go over to sign expensive free agents, but you can to keep your own players.

And the revenue from the luxury tax could be spread among the poorer teams.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

You make your own salary cap hell
    One reason many Red Wings fans are happy Ken Holland is in Edmonton is the bad contracts he left behind — Justin Abdelkader, Darren Helm, Franz Nielsen
    Jonathan Ericsson, Trevor Daley and Mike Green come off the books after 2020
    That’ll help

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

David Poile is an interesting GM. He'll do something that seems counter-intuitive at first blush, but it almost always works out. Subban brought a lot to the table for NSH beyond being a body on the ice. The onus is still on the Predators to maintain some marquee appeal and he brought it.

Subban lost me with his shuck and jive over not taking a knee. (Those bad old angry Black people! You'll never see me doing that. I LOVE the police. And the troops! I love the troops!) Still, Nashvillians ate it up and they loved him.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can do everything right and still end up in salary cap he’ll. If you draft well you will be screwed. It’s unfair to quality organizations and benefits the dregs of the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted