1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Hall for Larson deal was an absolute steal for the Devils.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

That helped quickly explain why Peter Chiarelli was out of a job. Again.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Got relatively cheap tickets on gameday down low, so I slipped up to D.C. for Caps-Canes last night. Sat sixth row up from the ice in the corner, incredible seats other than you really can't see the opposite corner because it's blurred by the glass. That's fine, that's why they have a videoboard. Anyway, quick observations from being up that close. 1) Didn't realize how much talking Carlson does to his teammates on the ice, pre-faceoff, setting everyone up to be the in right positions, etc. Definitely has some good leadership qualities. 2) I still hate Warren Foegele. 3) I kept calling Nick Jensen Dylan Jensen last night for some reason. I don't even know who Dylan Jensen is. 4) Samsonov's instincts and ability to read pucks through traffic are fantastic. He was really fun to watch up close. 5) There's a certain segment of Caps fans who want to trade Holtby because of Samsonov's emergence, but that's just ridiculous. For one, you'll get nothing than maybe a low draft pick in return. Secondly, we have no idea how good Samsonov will be in a playoff series. This is a Cup contending team, and you don't go into the playoffs with Pheonix Copley as your No. 2. Holtby's done a lot for this organization and I don't think he's done contributing. He won't be back next year, but it's silly to write him off just because Samsonov has been good.

Oh, and Backstrom re-signed for 5 years, $46 mil this morning. Good day in Cap land.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Interesting stat: In Auston Matthews’ first NHL game in October 2016 he had four goals. He’s since had 27 two-goal games, but no hat tricks. Finally got his first career three-only-goal game tonight, sealing it with an empty netter.

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

If the Rangers are all-in with a rebuild, why are they hanging on to Hank? Money makes him unmovable? Then why not deal one of the two young keepers to add more assets?

Seems to me that team could be pretty darn good soon.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

King won’t approve a deal
    He wants to retire a Ranger

Liut likes this.
  9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks. Forgot about a a no-trade. Guess he doesn't mind being Cup-less.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Vegas fires Gallant, replaces him with DeBoer. Didn't see that coming.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Gee, wonder if Gallant will still coach the Pacific Division's All-Star team?

Sort of reminds me of the late Bep Guidolin coaching in the 1975 All-Star Game in Montreal. Guidolin had led Boston to the Stanley Cup Final the previous season, then got into a hiss-fit with Harry Sinden. Guidolin found himself coaching the expansion Kansas City Scouts.

12. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Sounds like Stevie Y has his old linemate ready to go as Blashill’s replacement

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted