1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-2020 NHL season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 16, 2019.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

And our RV park in Palmetto, Fla., is one block in from U.S. 41. If I stay on that going north, in about 1,750 miles, I'd drive right through town. (And no, I've not been north of Whitefish Point in the UP.)

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I've been to Houghton, but never made it all the way to Calumet.

Always meant to ride the "barf barge" to Isle Royale NP when I lived in the U.P. My wife preferred a visit to Mackinac Island. Guess which one happened ... :)

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I've been to Calumet. Yay me!!

Even better, some 140-50 years ago, speaking of Isle Royale, my GG-grandfather owned it. Yep, the whole island.
    That delusion of grandeur went down the pooper when they realized that getting to Isle Royale in the 1870s was about like going to the moon today. So their dreams of shipping millions of tons of lumber, etc etc, off it, all went to hell. I think they defaulted on it for taxes or let it default back to the Feds.

maumann likes this.
  4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Man, I've missed you hockey. A game between the last two champs that lived up to the hype ...

OscarMadison, HanSenSE and ChrisLong like this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Rangers opening night last night. ... And I was stuck in a car for 3 hours listening to it on the radio. And it sounded like a really fun game. Ugh. Walked in just in time to see the postgame. I can't believe how much I love NHL hockey, and how much that love has grown over the last few years. My interest in the major sports ebbs and flows for some reason, but I really didn't think hockey was ever going to come back for me the way it did. I actually get bummed now if I have to miss a game.

Oh, and I am loving the new look with Panarin and Trouba, who had immediate impacts. The defense sounded brutally bad still, and Lundqvist was probably having nightmares of pucks attacking him in his sleep last night, but at least this season has the potential to be entertaining.

Liut likes this.
  7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rangers remind me a bit of Carolina two years ago ... they're going to be a pain in the ass but they're not quite ready to be a playoff factor, though I wouldn't be stunned if they snuck in as a wild card. I really think the Penguins are going to take a big step back this year, so there's an opening.

8. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My sense is that they are going to score a decent amount. And they are going to give up a ton of goals. The defense could solidify with time, though, well hopefully.

Watching the highlights, the atmosphere @ the Garden last night looked way better than it has been the last few years, and it looked fun.

I strongly suspect they won't go for it this season if they are on the bubble. Which is fine. Personally, I just want to see Chytil brought back up to the big club, and Kravtsov brought up and thrown in there, too. Let him make his mistakes and develop. He is going to be good. Chytil may or may not have the personality to become a #2 center, which is what they need out of him. He's really skilled, but he plays passively, so he may end up being a disappointment. But I'd rather see them give him the chance than have Ryan Strome centering a line with Kaako and Kreider. I like Strome and really appreciate what he did to stabilize his career last year when they got him, but he's just not a #2 center and with players that good he isn't a guy who is going to ever make them any better.

BTW, if I am right about them not going for it, Chris Kreider will be playing in another uniform sometime around the trade deadline. They aren't going to give him the term and salary he is about to command.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Caps and Isles tonight, I sure as shit wish that game was in Brooklyn. I'm not trucking out to the Island.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How much do Ubers cost around your area?

Draft saved Draft deleted