1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 NFL coaching carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well not yet.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Leslie is absolutely getting destroyed on Twitter.
    Which he should.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. It's informed speculation on the part of the coach/source. It's almost certainly a logical and accurate inference from other developments. But it's not yet true.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"They haven't been fired yet. Which is good, because Jason Garrett is a top coach in this league."

5. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Would be a disaster.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't like owners hiring coaches directly - mainly because I don't think they know what questions to ask and are easily awed by either charisma, buzz words or "the cut of their jib."

I've read far too many stories about "bright, young offensive minds" who come into the interview with a binder full of schemes, roster notes on a team etc. and "dazzle." Find out who someone would bring on his staff. Is his rep strong enough where coaches will join his staff on a lateral move? Is the staff strong enough to actually help sign FAs? Too many coaches get HC jobs without developing a strong enough network or enough experience to handle different situations and locker rooms. I think Gase and McDaniels in Denver are prime examples.

7. DanOregon

If the decision has been made but not communicated - either to the staff or to the public - I guess they technically haven't been fired. But I do wonder about the semantics of it. I can't believe a decision is still being mulled at this point - maybe the hangup is that you give the next coach the option of keeping some coaches on?

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

It is going to happen, and everybody knows it is going to happen. Why the fuck would you go on iffy sourcing and jump the gun on a story like this?

You get zero benefit from being first on a foregone-conclusion story like this.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. DanOregon

I don't like owners hiring coaches directly - mainly because I don't think they know what questions to ask and are easily awed by either charisma, buzz words or "the cut of their jib."

I've read far too many stories about "bright, young offensive minds" who come into the interview with a binder full of schemes, roster notes on a team etc. and "dazzle." Find out who someone would bring on his staff. Is his rep strong enough where coaches will join his staff on a lateral move? Is the staff strong enough to actually help sign FAs? Too many coaches get HC jobs without developing a strong enough network or enough experience to handle different situations and locker rooms. I think Gase and McDaniels in Denver are prime examples.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In the Belicheck & Saban HBO Special, I was intrigued by their statements that while they understood the fact that one of their assistants would take a job elsewhere as HC, they were "disappointed" (to put it mildly) that the new HCs would then poach off the NE/Ala staffs (Saban left CLE to MSU and took no one). Well maybe Belicheck was talking about Flores in Miami , but here's some facts about that from MMQB:

Yeah, so this was satisfying for the Dolphins staff. Brian Flores’ 15-year history in Foxboro is well-documented. His OC, Chad O’Shea, let his contract with the Patriots run out when he realized they weren’t going to promote him from receivers coach, even if Josh McDaniels had left for Indy as planned in 2008. Defensive pass-game coordinator Josh Boyer and quarterbacks coach Jerry Schuplinski, similarly, had waited for promotions that didn’t come, then decided not to sign extensions. Those guys wound up finding what they were looking for with Flores in Florida, and they got a lot more on Sunday when they beat New England 27–24.
    Bill, don't complain if you don't advance them.

Draft saved Draft deleted