1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WAR question. If you had a roster where each player was 0 WAR, a total replacement level roster, what is the expected, baseline, record of such a team? 50-112?
    Adding Mike Trout and his 8.0 WAR would make the team's expected record 58-104? Or is Trout's WAR also dependent on his team? Is Trout really worth 8 wins above replacement if every other member of his team was a replacement level player?

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Too poor to cheat"

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6F502B8F-EA24-4EC9-8AA7-94BBF2580C12.jpeg

Winners win! Not losers like the Rockies (probably).

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

300 yards?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting question to ponder, but it ignores the reality of what WAR really is and is not: a good shorthand to show how good a player is, not a precise metric. There is not, nor do I ever expect there will be, a single stat that tells the story of how good a player really is. WAR is decent approximation of that, but it's certainly not infallible.

sgreenwell and maumann like this.
  7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can't remember when I read it, but Baseball Prospectus I think said at one point that a team of "replacement level" players would probably win 20 to 30 games. That's basically a lineup fell of Mendoza line guys, and a pitching staff of guys with 5.00+ ERAs, at least at the time. Someone has probably done the leg work on a team full of 0.0 WAR players.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For giggles and shits, I looked up the 1899 Cleveland Spiders on Baseball Reference. Different era, of course, and the ownership situation was 100 percent corrupt, but they went 20-134 with a batting WAR of minus-4.1 and a pitching WAR of minus-16.6. So, taking all of the issues as a factor, it may be that even a team with negative WAR would (somehow) win 20 games.

1899 Cleveland Spiders Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think it may be attributed to Earl Weaver, but someone said all teams win 50 and lose 50, it’s what you do in the other 62 that matter.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's not particularly insightful from old Earl.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Veteran umpire Gary Cederstrom is retiring after 31 years. I covered him as a college player, he was a pretty good first baseman at Minot State, and knew him off the field. Opinions may vary as to his umpiring ability, but he's a heck of a nice guy.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, sometime you win. Sometime you lose. And sometimes, it rains. Think about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted