1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 MLB Running Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Kris Bryant has been the better player over the past five years. And Arenado comes with the same amount of control.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn Donaldson gets more than Bumgarner. Got to hand it to Donaldson, he bet on himself last year (1 yr deal) and has essentially gotten about $130M for 5 yrs.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When judging those two, it depends on criteria. Bryant has been slowed by injuries, especially in 2018. Arenado hasn't played less than 155 games since 2014. He is also a better defender a third base. I'm not sure Bryant has that much more value in terms of a trade.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Take him out of colorado where his home/away OPS split is .995/.799 compared to Bryant's split of .921/.881 and you might have a relatively even offensive comparison.

5. outofplace

The problem with that is the splits aren't always a fair measure. Rockies hitters have to constantly adjust from home to away games. Breaking balls move differently. The ball certainly carries differently. I'm not saying that Coors Field isn't an advantage, but playing home games there actually hurts many of those hitters when they are on the road. That is why you don't always see a massive drop-off when a player leaves Colorado. Take D.J. LeMahieu as an example. He had arguably the best season of his career last year with the Yankees at age 30. It was also the first season he played for a team other than the Rockies.

Matt Holliday's production dropped when he left the Rockies, but it certainly didn't crater. Andres Galarraga put together a 1999 season with the Braves that looked very much like what he had done the previous two seasons with the Rockies and that was at age 37.

I'm not saying you don't adjust for playing for the Rockies with a guy like Arenado. I am saying that the splits are a little misleading and often people overdo the adjusting.

heyabbott likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Well, he certainly has more value than Ross and Kieboom. Especially since the Braves are likely to get involved after missing out on Donaldson. And Rosenthal has the Dodgers in too. I love the smell of a bidding war.

Of course, all of this is null and void if the arbitrator rules for Bryant.

7. outofplace

I like Kieboom, but yeah, that doesn't seem like enough for Bryant.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lets be honest though - the positions people are referring to as "coach" these days, used to just be considered support staff, whether dealing with data or whatnot.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Then doubled down last night by trying to get into a Twitter war with veteran Giants scribe Andrew Baggarly of The Athletic, who suggessted he'd be personna non grata at any public reunions of the 2010 World Series champs. Do not mess with one of Trebek's faves!

The Giants will have 13 "coaches" on the roster. I think that includes one in charge of 6-4-3 double plays and one in charge of 4-6-3 double plays. One is a "quality assurance" coach, basically a title for an eye in the sky. MLB limits the number of coaches allowed on the bench during games.

Draft saved Draft deleted