1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The College Football Hall of Fame is a joke - they'll keep players like Eric Dickerson out for "integrity issues" but have no problem with the Barry Switzers of the world. Oh, and they have a spot for the Goodyear blimp but not Keith Jackson?

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think your post proves my point. You quickly pivoted from his ability to coach to his daughter's sex life. Why is that relevant? Is Bobby Bowden's reputation tarnished by the fact that he has a child who is a convicted felon.

BOWDEN'S OLDEST SON SENTENCED IN FRAUD

Liut likes this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

JFC. This is an embarrassment. Just put Tad Boyle in there.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It seems to me that Darrin Chiaverini makes more sense. What is the objection to him?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

They would, but can you relay on a guy who hasn't been in the college game for six years to get that streak going? There wasn't a coordinator somewhere or a head coach in the AAC or the Mountain West? Go get a guy like Billy Napier, someone on the way up that has ties to bigger programs than you as an assistant, Pac-12 ties and the state of Colorado ties. They didn't have to make it harder than it is

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Because Bowden's son being involved in an investment fraud isn't connected to his football team. If his son used that investment fraud to pay players to play at Florida State then yes it should tarnish his reputation. I think McCartney whored out his daughter and her friends to help attract football players. So it is relevant.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He had two QBs for 2002 and 2003 at UCLA, Drew Olson and another guy. Both played, both started games. Olson was sucking one game, the OC asked Dorrell if the other guy should get warmed up. Dorrell said (paraphrasing), "No, the other guy sucks and won't ever play here again." The other guy just happened to be on the headset at the time and overheard the conversation.

Transfer, obviously. One year taking classes and working out at a JC so he could play in 2005 at another D1 school. Two years as a D1 starter at his next school, bowl-game winner, 13-year NFL career, Super Bowl ring. Say hello to Matt Moore. No big fan or Dorrell. And (cross-threading) another QB with a SB ring who was also drafted by MLB.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Was Dorrell the HC at UCLA in 2002? Thought he got there in 2003.

Olson and MJD pretty much carried him to a 10-win season in 2005, that was probably worth telling Matt Moore to take a hike. Shitty thing to do? Sure. I'm sure he's not the first. Definitely won't be the last.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You're right, Dorrell arrived in 2003. Somebody had to leave. Glad it was my team's guy who did. And MJD had more to do with than 10-win season than Olson did, although he was decent that year. Moore had a great 10-win season in 2006, beating USC to end their long Pac-10 unbeaten streak and then beating Chase Daniel and Mizzou in one of the greatest Sun Bowl comebacks ever.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

That is the nicest way to describe a perfectly OK to worse than OK college QB. It's a great story and Dorrell is a bad hire, but I'm not sure it's much of a slight he couldn't recognize the glory of a QB who let the country in interceptions in his fourth year in college and peaked as the No. 32-rated passer in the country (he was third in a just dreadful Pac-12 for QBs). Not that Olson was particularly good until his last year, but Moore was an utterly middling passer on the college level. The story was also a little prettied up there, but I like your version better.

Anyway, bad hire. Shit, just give Calhoun a lot of money and let him run the option (He doesn't want to run the option, but Colorado should run the option).

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. A rushed and disorganized hire. I get they were in a bad spot. But Karl Dullard? Come on.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I didn't even know he was still in coaching.
    And in a way, he wasn't. I think his only college gig since 2007 was at Vandy in 2014. Commodores averaged 11.5 points per SEC game.

Draft saved Draft deleted