1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Waiting for the follow-up featuring insightful comments from "DevilWorshiper," "Gronkytonkbadonkadonk" and "Arpaio4Prez."

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3. DanOregon

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

My understanding on Kelly is that since Notre Dame is a private institution and doesn't normally release contract info, they have Kelly's salary that they are responsible for public and at such a low number whereas the compensation he gets from outside sources, media and apparel companies, are not reported through the school. I think a couple of years ago he was making more than 4 million total.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Todd Graham's firing was very puzzling. Went 7-6 (6-3) in his final season, a sharp improvement, and gets the boot.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

don’t forget “Tillman4Life”

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A sharp improvement from the bottom of the crater. Graham had three good seasons to start his tenure, and he couldn’t build on that. His final season, with losses to San Diego State and Texas Tech out of conference, pretty much cemented ASU’s standing as an in-conference upset special. Even in wins vs. Oregon and Washington, the Sun Devils didn’t look particularly good. Just lucky.

So if Graham didn’t build a lot of goodwill with the administration or boosters, I can see why they didn’t feel like tossing him more money with a contract extension.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I suppose they're at the same level of wins/losses with Coach Herm, just a lot more boring.

9. DanOregon

It's interesting comparing ASU and Arizona coaching histories. ASU coaches usually win 10 games within a year or two of starting and then get canned when they fall back to a 7-5 or 8-4 season in consecutive years. Arizona coaches bring in something new and appear to be building something before some off-field incident or general unrest within the program causes them to get dumped.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

11. DanOregon

Always thought the best strategy to find a coach is look for the "hot coach" from a couple years back who stayed with a big salary boost and has since lost some of his shine. UW did this with Chris Petersen. The coaches tend to realize that those big jobs may not come calling again and you don't have to compete as hard for their services. Also - you're not committing to a coach after one great season.

I still think FSU ends up with a Clemson coordinator - Venables or Jeff Scott.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted