1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder if Bienemy accepts. I would guess the offensive coordinator of the Super Bowl champions makes more than virtually any college coordinator so that means Bienemy makes close to two million dollars a year. Tucker was making about 2.5 million a year in Boulder. So the money may not be significantly better at CU.

As long as Mahommes is in Kansas City that will be a hell of an offense and Bienemy will continue to get interviews for NFL head coaching jobs. Reid is 62 and if he retires I would think Bienemy would be the likely successor. Spagnola is 60 and was 10-38 as a head coach. If Bienemy strikes out on an NFL head coaching job he could probably still find a good college head coaching job.

So unless Bienemy really likes Boulder I think he stays put.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So is Michigan State picking up the tab for Tucker's $3,000,000 buyout to Colorado? Or is that his obligation?

4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

MSU, from what I understand

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup, MSU, which is suddenly flush with cash.

Fuck Mel. Yes, we all would have taken the money. But don't be a lying scumbag in doing it.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Every P5(6) university has a reserve fund in the hundreds of millions that they never tap into. So crying poor is always a bunch of horseshit.

7. Starman

Well, last I saw, the settlements in the Larry Nassar cases were running something like half a billion dollars, so Sparty's reserve fund must be running a little low. But they obviously found a few more dozen million they could throw at the football program.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Isn’t Dan Gilbert a big Sparty High booster? Even with the Nassar stuff, they have deep pockets.

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

They have plenty of BTN $$$, not to mention the ESPN and Fox contracts
    Gilbert is an alum but the deepest pockets belong to Eli Broad
    The business school is named after him

Liut likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Mel Tucker was never going to have Colorado go 9-3 every year.

Hopefully with the raise, he’s a better tipper than he was in college when I was delivering him pizzas.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The question, does he have a better chance at 9-3 at CU or EL? I'm honestly unsure.

12. Starman

He's gonna beat OSU maybe 1 year out of 10. Michigan and Penn State, probably 1/3 of the time. That means 40 percent of the time he'll be 0-3 against the big boys, which means he can't lose to anyone else, at all.

The Sparty fans forget that Dantonio arrived in the middle of a miracle perfect storm: Michigan was floundering through the RichRod and Hoke seasons, PSU was sputtering to the finish line under the doddering JoePa (and then the Sandusky scandal blew sky high) and even tOSU shit a brick for the transition season between Tressel and Meyer. Dantonio was in place to pick up the pieces. Once the three giants got things back in gear, Dantonio became a 7-5 coach.

I Should Coco likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted