1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Given the timing, the condition of the program, and the NCAA looming, I don't see how they make even a half-decent face saving hire.

Poor bastard MSU fans are going to be suffering for quite a while over this nonsense.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and this was supposed to be one of the new breed of forward thinking trustees, the only one who had made any attempt to get on the right side of the Nassar mess, and buck the Ferguson-Perles leather-head jocokracy faction.
    But whether he made the effort to "look" independent or not, Mosallam is still (rolls eyes) a former player under Perles.
    State law should utterly prohibit any former athlete, coach or athletic director from serving on the board of trustees, plus all members of the board of trustees should be prohibited by law from attending any athletic contest involving the university.

Pass those two laws, and your board of trustees problems are fixed. All the jock sniffers, luxury-suite freeloaders and pom pom shakers would be gone.

3. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I had my eyes opened to my alma mater when it voted to send Ohio State, in the deciding vote — to the Rose Bowl over Michigan in 1973.
    I hadn’t finished partying after MSU’s 16-13 upset of Ohio State in 1974 when Woody Hayes turned MSU in to the NCAA
    Following Michigan State is a lot like following the Lions except MSU can pull off a stellar season every 20 years or so
    But the BOT (which should NOT be an elective office) has fucked things up for as long as I can remember
    It’ll be interesting to see where basketball goes after Izzo leaves
    I don’t think it will be easy to retain its lofty standing, though they’re going to go after somebody like Shaka Smart
    It always has to be added MSU might have the worst inferiority complex of any school in the country
    It isn’t UM and there’s nothing wrong with that
    Good school in its own right and the campus is far superior to Ann Arbor, which seems like it was planned by a guy on acid

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Shaka hasn't exactly lit the world on fire at Texas.

6. Jake from State Farm

True
    He could be the next Tubby Smith if he leaves

7. Starman

Good points except making the BOT an appointive office would make the trustees pawns/ flunkies of the current governor, especially risky if they're MAGA/teabag vandals/deconstructionsists/privatization freaks who do not believe in public education from the get go, are hell bent on proving it doesn't work, and would probably sell the whole joint off to McDonald's in three months.

My two proposals would get the leathernecks, jock sniffers. glory hounds and free-ticket freeloaders out of there. You'd find out in a snap who's really interested in the school as an educational institution.

8. Jake from State Farm

At least Brian Breslin and Mitch Lyons are no longer trustees

9. Starman

Or Perles. But Ferguson has apparently recruited Brianna Scott as his newest pawn/ally.
    Ferguson was reportedly "seething" on Saturday and Sunday, because he had been "locked out" of the process -- and that was the time period when Fickell was supposedly all but locked up.
    Then the Fickell deal, if there was one, blows away like a fart in the wind, and they're back to square zero. And by strange coincidence, Fickell expresses doubts about the school's "culture."

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, you could do it the way they do in Alabama. The three or four trustees with the most juice decide who to invite onto the trustees, because the BoT is self-appointing. The nominee is rubber-stamped by the Alabama lege, 60-70% of whom went to Alabama Law. The BoT also decides who isn't doing their job well (that is, not keeping their mouths shut, their profiles low, and doing what the Big Mules tell them to) and removes them, otherwise they serve up to two eight year terms.

What could go wrong?

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Hell, throw in Petrino and let's make it an Arkansas grand slam with Nutt, Petrino, Smith and Bielema.

Draft saved Draft deleted