1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Eh, there's a rapist being deified around the country today. What's the diff?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the GV coach has a history degree - he knows how Hitler led - Identify a scapegoat. Persecute the hell out of them, label anyone who isn't "on the team" a threat and remove them. Rinse and repeat. There is a reason Hitler never wrote one of those corporate motivation books. "Follow or Die" probably wouldn't be very marketable. Makes me wonder if teams doing "due dilligence" check potential hires for potential troublesome tattoos.

3. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Bo Pelini makes his second go round as DC at LSU.

I remember he was fired at Nebraska for not winning enough despite winning 9 or more games each of his seven seasons there. How's that move worked out for Nebraska since?

Liut likes this.
  4. DanOregon

He wasn't fired for not winning enough - he was fired for being a jerk.

BitterYoungMatador2 and wicked like this.
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Morris Berger? Is he Jewish?

6. HappyCurmudgeon

As AD Shawn Eichorst was quoted as saying Pelini was fired because he "didn't win the games that mattered the most".

Fans were mad that Pelini called them out for their shit and it's the same stuff that Nick Saban called out Alabama fans for and the same reason that Steve Spurrier claims he left Florida.

Pelini said "We'll see what they can do when I'm fucking gone." And Nebraska has went 28-33.

Liut likes this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Steve Spurrier left Florida because Dan Snyder was a dumbass and offered him $25 million over five years, or whatever it was.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

Spurrier left Florida because the fans weren't happy with 10 wins + an Orange Bowl.

A week later Daniel Snyder was a fucking idiot. Schottenheimer wasn't fired until a week after Spurrier resigned from Florida.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, my recollection is that he announced his resignation from Florida saying he wanted to pursue other coaching opportunities, which was his way of telling the NFL owners "Here I am! Back up the Brink's truck if you want me!" I don't think Snyder had a deal with him before that.

HappyCurmudgeon likes this.
  10. DanOregon

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Pellini was very consistent at Nebraska. He won at least nine games every year but never won the conference championship. Nebraska expectations are that the coach should have the program on the level of the Devaney/Osborne teams (unreasonable as they may be) and be a national power. He was fired for not reaching that level.

Liut and HappyCurmudgeon like this.
  12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

In a rational world this would be good news for UConn..

It make the move to FCS easier. It will be easier to reach the lower scholarship limits.

And when they fire Edsall (as the school must) they can save a lot of money paying the new coach at the FCS level.

But this is UConn and they remain delusional about being a football independent in D-I.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted