1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wisconsin, Tennessee and FSU (and still probably Penn State) will always have that "but Coach so-and-so....."
    I wonder if Saban still hears from Bryant loyalists?

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do. I defer.

3. Neutral Corner

We made jokes about 'Bama living off the carcass of an old dead bear for a long time, but that's over. Saban has stomped it flat, and Bear has been relegated to "the good old days", which no one cares about when UA plays in the NCAA Invitational every year. That's more of a problem when you're not living up to the legend. Whoever takes over at FSU will have to hear a lot about the past until his/their present shuts them up.

Chef2 likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. Twirling Time

Not a chance in hell Arkansas is leaving the money tit of the SEC to join a conference which might break up once its TV deal is up.

And you're leaving out a lot of history there where Arkansas tied for SWC championships but got blocked out of the Cotton Bowl by cheating SMU and a couple others from 1976 to 1989. Lou Holtz never coached them in the Cotton Bowl.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

OU looked a shithole in 1998 too, though, a decade of failure post-Switzer. I doubt Stoops has the same fire in the belly but who knows, he may still have that itch to be scratched.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Helton has lost the recruits and he has lost the fans. He absolutely is a goner. I just don't know who the new AD and coach will be. This has been a difficult question for a couple of months because Folt said almost right away that it won't be Meyer. How could a female university president condone hiring a coach who covered up spousal abuse and player misconduct?

8. DanOregon

True - I'd give Fox a lot of credit if they ask Meyer about it on their Saturday pre-game show. But I know they won't. Didn't he broadcast the OSU-Michigan game the day before being named the Buckeyes head coach and never mentioned it?

Losing both stud SoCal qbs to Clemson and Bama is not a good look for USC or the Pac-12. People want to know what is wrong with the Pac-12? They don't keep enough players home.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right?

10. DanOregon

I give the new USC pres a lot of credit. She seems to be looking for an actual athletics administrator rather than someone the alums can golf with - but the "No Meyer" stuff is interesting and I'm surprised we haven't heard more about it sooner. Another good lesson for sports journos, school presidents may be jock-friendly or not, but every college beat reporter should have a sit down with the university pres at least once a year.

garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Bruce Feldman, who is terrific, reported Bohn to USC on Friday, saying the formal announcement would come on Monday.
    When Monday morning came and went with no announcement of a press conference, I began to wonder.
    When Pete Thamel said on the Yahoo podcast that Folt wanted no part of Meyer, that made sense to me. She was the provost at Dartmouth when she took the UNC job. She was caught off guard when the UNC scandal lingered far longer than she was led to believe it would. She ultimately got whacked over the statue controversy, but when she quickly found employment at USC, you had to guess that she was not going to put up with any more nonsense from athletics. Squelching Meyer is totally understandable. Great coach with the perpetual possibility of baggage.

12. Neutral Corner

The good old SWC days. Ed Fowler at the Houston Chronicle referred to the SWC as "The Society for Wrongdoing and Corruption", and he wasn't wrong. After some big booster's team got caught and put on probation, he'd hear some other rich asshole bragging at the deer camp or the country club about the stud LB he'd bought for his team. He'd get pissed off and jealous and drop a dime on that guy's team. That was when some of the best players in Texas started going to California or Colorado. The whole damn conference was on probation, and every school in the conference was in Texas except Arkansas.

Draft saved Draft deleted