1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Ok. Thanks. Interesting. Curious.
    Still have to think this does not work to Fuente’s long-term benefit.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Agreed, but losing to ODU and nearly soiling the sheets against Furman are more hazardous to his health.

Next year, VT avoids Clemson, and its toughest road game is either Pitt, UNC or Louisville. If he can’t pull 10 wins and a Coastal title out of that, VT should buy flights to Roanoke for every AAC, C-USA and MAC AD with an opening.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

UNC will probably be the favorite in the Coastal. That won't be a cakewalk by any means. And fun fact: Louisville has been in the league since '14 and this will be the first time Tech and the Cards meet in a conference game.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I just don't see anyone other than Ohio State, Clemson or Bama winning it. It would be great if another LSU comes out of nowhere - but I watched enough college football to realize those three programs (and LSU) were at another level. Not just their first-line people - but their second stringers as well.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For all the handwringing over the Big10 adding Maryland and Rutgers and the demise of the Big East as a great basketball conference and the disappearance of the PAC-10 as a power conference with relevance, the ACC becoming the biggest Whorehouse in sport is the least covered aspect of alignment. Syracuse Pitt and Louisville still don’t register as ACC teams. The ACC basketball tournament is now some vague incarnation of the old ECAC Holiday Tourney in the old Garden

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Sad thing is the thought that LSU, who won titles in 2003, 2007 and played for a title in 2011 is considered a program that came out of nowhere. But yeah you can pretty much pick 1/2 the playoffs 220 days before the season starts. I can look at it right now and say that the likelihood of the four playoff spots coming out of group of Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, maybe Georgia, Florida, and whatever Pac-12 team can survive with a loss or less (Oregon?). I feel like the Oklahoma is going to get some serious blowback given how many times they have made the playoffs and been relatively uncompetitive in all the games but one.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Expansion has gotten so out of control that Virginia Tech looks like a legacy member. And that's pathetic.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

LSU can’t win a natty unless they’re playing on Poydras Street. But to your point, yes, you’re looking at the same 7 teams every year vying for 4 CFP spots. That’s not healthy for CFB ... unless you open it up to 8.

9. DanOregon

I don't think it matters if you expand the playoff to eight - you'll still be able to take the first round off. Even if there is a round one upset- it's still going to come down to SEC vs. Ohio State or Clemson in the final for the forseeable future.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ask Johnny ... if you can stop him during one of his victory laps ...

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

It depends. This year I can safely argue that LSU vs. whomever No. 8 would've been probably would've been a much tougher matchup than Oklahoma because Oklahoma had no front seven talent to speak of on defense and were likely going to get blown off the ball by any of the other seven teams in a potential eight team playoff.

Four has kind of tied some hands because the committee feels obligated to take a conference champion with that fourth spot if they've got one loss regardless of how good they really are.

12. DanOregon

First round this year (if it were 8) would have been: LSU-Memphis, Ohio State-Baylor, Clemson-Oregon, Oklahoma-Georgia. Outside of Georgia beating Oklahoma, I don't think the end result would have been any different.

Draft saved Draft deleted