1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Wow, I fucked that one up. I feel shame.

Wenders likes this.
  2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I still think it’s more difficult to rise up in the PAC-12 than it is in the SEC. But he may have felt that he had done all he could with the resources at WSU. I guess I’ve just never understood guys who leave what appear to be a good situation to start over at a second-rate program.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if he'll have a better shot at winning, I doubt his winning percentage changes that much - but I do think the new TV deal the SEC has on the table - and the widening revenue gap between the Pac-12 and other conferences will mean he gets paid a hell of a lot more for doing the same job.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

I’m sure he’ll get along fine with $aban
    Hey, wait a minute ...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That new TV deal is going to be insane. I can't imagine what facility and coach salaries will come from it.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Wazzu wasn't competitive. They won what...one Apple Cup game in the past 10 years. Got a couple on Oregon after Chip Kelly left and before Mario got the program rolling agin, but they aren't getting any more. Wazzu has such a distinct and defined talent disadvantage going into those games. It's hard to get good college players there and damn near impossible to

Mississippi State, for all its flaws with location, gets top-end talent and has a great JUCO feeder system. They had four kids drafted in the first 44 picks last year. 10 percent of the damn NFL draft for the first day and a half was Mississippi State players and highlight packages. Leach, being an old offensive line guy, will get talented kids on the lines and he'll likely slip into a top-end quarterback as well. The guy got TEXAS TECH to a No. 2 ranking once, I feel confident he can keep Mississippi State competitive.

Batman and Liut like this.
  7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Leach in Starkville?

I'll be a Bulldog for that.

8. Songbird

So funky sounding and quirky talkin' white guys is the trend in the SEC? Orgeron ... Leach ...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No question several other schools had better talent that Wazzu but Leach was 9–4 (6–3 Pac-12), 8–5 (7–2), 9–4 (6–3) and 11–2 (7–2) from 2015-18. They beat Oregon four times in a row and should have defeated them this year as well. That sounds pretty damn competitive to me.

I Should Coco, Songbird and Liut like this.
  10. Songbird

37-15 in those 4 years is considered bad lol.

11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Some observations:

1. Leach will be fine in the Deep South; he coached in Valdosta, Ga.

2. Culturally, Lubbock-Pullman-Starkville are rural, agricultural locales. The competition is different, but he’s still going to have to appeal to old, white, conservative boosters all the same.

3. I love Alma. But, man, you’d think he has worked every beat in college football. Up there with mizzougrad in the “authoritative tone” class. Much appreciated, though.

12. Songbird

The Lubbock-Pullman-Starkville Triangle ... worth a story right there.

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted