1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is 300% correct.

Arkansas doing this is the college football equivalent of "bad ownership". They're the Cleveland Browns of the SEC.

A talented coach should be very wary of working for bad ownership. Any good employee, for that matter.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Arkansas's argument is Bret had an obligation in his contract to seek comparable employment amd offset. He's working below standard pay as an nfl assistant. They think they have a case.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Two year Bama intern Butch Jones says hold my beer.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Bielema argue that it makes more rational sense for a college to justify paying an assistant coach half a mil.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

He wasn't obligated to find comparable employment. He was only obligated to seek it. Perhaps he sought and discovered that he could "only" work for the six-time Super Bowl champions.
    Although the pay isn't comparable, how many other gigs pay what an SEC head coach's job pays? Not many. It's not like the guy's intentionally coaching Division II ball and playing golf.

They have no argument.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Morris was hired by boosters before the current AD was in office. I’ll be interested to see how much free rein he’s got for this hire.

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Didn't say it was valid, just that is what they are claiming. I think they also have an issue with his lowball pay in the league.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll find the tweet here in a bit, but Dari Nowkah is now on the Leach to Fayetteville bandwagon.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Whether it was a very long press release or a long statement to The Athletic, it was clearly the longest statement about coach retention that I've ever read. The Athletic story said Vandy people are meeting with architecture firms shortly for preliminary discussions about some new facility. From my experience, that means three to five years before you're actually working in the new place. And that's a prerequisite for success. Nobody decent is taking that gig now once he realizes the groundbreaking will roughly coincide with your third straight 3-9 season, i.e. perfect time for his successor.

If academics mattered, Vandy and University-6 would trade leagues.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

D'Antonio just kicked BYH' dead cat across the room.
    He loses to Rutgers and/or Maryland, they can't bring him back.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Malzahn and Kiffin are the names floating around the most among the big boosters.

Draft saved Draft deleted