1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2019-20 college football coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jlee, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That sweet, sweet SEC money does cloud people's judgement. Coach's egos tell them that they can take a lower half SEC job and turn things around, but that seldom happens. Their checkbook tells them to lock their doubts in a trunk and take the job. Several years later they are out on the street looking for a job, with a fat bank account and their record battered.

Arkansas loves the SEC cash flow, but that money does not make them able to match up with the big boys.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

If you’ve many millions in the bank, why even work again?

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Well, since they’re refusing to pay Bert’s buyout, they can afford Morris’ buyout now.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Certainly not with the cash.
    It's kind of like Maryland. Going to the Big Ten killed the football program but probably saved them from whacking more sports because of all the cash they will ultimately get when fully vested.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It’ll be interesting see how Bielema’s buyout issue is litigated.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When you're already in critical condition, don't hire Mike Locksley as your doctor.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Beats me, but they all do it, either rebuilding their rep or taking the slide down the conference ladder as a retread.

Pay me a ten million dollar buyout. I'll find some things that I enjoy and then do them in pleasant places for the rest of my life.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Somebody, probably in the Big 12, will snap up Morris as a coordinator for pennies on the dollar. The guy can recruit Texas and it was foolish for Arkansas to cut him loose after just 22 games.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the first part. Have to disagree with the last sentence.
    I could see him on Riley's staff.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I can actually see Leach leaving Wazzu fairly quickly.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

Similarly, when on trial for your life, don't hire Lionel Hutz as defense counsel.

12. tapintoamerica

Caveat emptor for anybody tempted by Pig Sooie U: The way they're treating Bielema is pretty disturbing.
    It should be a major concern for anybody. If you take that kind of gig, you know it's going to be a tough job, but you figure you'll get paid even if you get fired. Now if they're going to play this kind of hardball, they will have nothing on which to sell themselves to any decent coach.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted