1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Costa Rica had a fun ride last time.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As a Burnley supporter who lost his mind this season over a seventh-place finish, I understand.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with this approach at all. There are like five teams with a real chance to win, so pick one of the other 27 for the fun of it unless you have some national allegiance to one of the powerhouses, like my daughter does from living in France.

4. typefitter

Belgium are a fun side for neutrals.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Allez le blue!

6. typefitter

Les Bleus, you Philistine.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Uh, no.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Genealogically I could claim allegiance to Germany, geographically I could back Japan (lived there until December), but all I really want is a group stage full of goals before the knockout matches turn cagey out of necessity. I will happily back any upstart or dark horse that advances -- even if it's someone, like Croatia or Peru, from an established power region -- if and/or when they emerge.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

#CONCACAFThunder was fun while it lasted, especially in a newsroom that was lousy with Englishmen.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

So the only reason I said that is I sleep next to a woman who is super conservative by most measures, but will face paint herself and force me to go to a frog bar if they get past the quarterfinals. PLEASE don't tell her I fucked that up.

11. typefitter

Well, well, well. Looks like someone's going to be sending me some Bitcoin.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Frog bar?

Fly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted