1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I was in the hospital for most of the 2002 tournament with a stomach issue. It was actually pretty great. I watched every game that year without guilt. But there was one funny instance... Doctor comes in on his rounds. I was watching Turkey play somebody. I'm watching the game while he's listening to my heart and whatever. Then he presses on my stomach just as Turkey nearly scored and I hollered and he jumped like he'd been electrocuted. "I'm so sorry!" he said. I was like, "No, dude, sorry, it's the game. I'm fine." The timing was millisecond perfect.

Webster likes this.
  2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When a group of us went to Germany in 2006, despite a lot of anti-American sentiment out there, I'll never forget how nice everyone was to our group. In part, people with the resources to travel to an international tournament might be a little more sophisticated, but it was an unforgettable experience.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I wonder what the reaction to an American would be in 2018?

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm guessing fine, as long as people didn't wear MAGA hats around.

5. typefitter

I imagine those would go off big in Russia.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I fixed that for you. Please speak American.

Stoney likes this.
  7. typefitter

I'm Canadian. Up here, it's biglé.

Huggy and Spartan Squad like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My son and daughter leave for Moscow on Friday. I will give updates on their reception there if they communicate their experiences, as I'm sure they will on their new burner phones.

typefitter likes this.
  9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

We are probably more welcome in Russia than Europe right now.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I would've forgotten the World Cup started this week if not for this thread. Maybe that's a result of both cutting the cable and the US failing to qualify, but I still feel kind of sad about it given how much I enjoy this game.

I'll be cheering for all the CONCACAF and Asian teams, in part because of my biases and also so both regions get a reasonable number of bids in the super-size 2022 World Cup. My expectations for both remain low, but Iran could sneak up on people and Mexico will probably do their usual (overperform in the group stage, flame out in the first knockout round). I also hope the Saudis don't come to regret sending their senior players to train in Europe instead of playing regularly for their clubs.

11. typefitter

That's the surest recipe for disappointment I've ever seen.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It's disappointment only if you expect them to win. Think of it like cheering for mid-majors in the NCAA tournament -- every triumph is precious, but you know it always ends in a loss.

(Note: My approach to fandom has a Meseeks quality to it. I don't recommend anyone else try it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted