1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Begins at 11 a.m. EDT Thursday with Russia and Saudi Arabia, the unquestioned two worst teams in the field.

Outside of a few 6 a.m. EDT games, the schedule translates well for most of the East Coast.

Who you got winning?

And who should I root for, outside of Iceland?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that France has the most talent and have them or Belgium winning

3. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

'Murica!!!!!

Oh. Wait.

Nevermind.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I have France winning it, too.

Groups D and E are the ones to watch. Pretty obvious who should advance in all the others.

Russia v. Saudi Arabia is not just the worst World Cup opener I can remember. It might be one of the worst all-time matchups.

5. Webster

My shock pick will be Morocco to come out of Group B instead of Portugal.

6. typefitter

I think it's possible that Argentina doesn't advance. Not very possible, but possible.

Group E, I'm going with Serbia to come out with Brazil. But second in that group could be anybody.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I'm rooting for questionable officiating that favors Russia.

After that...

Mexico
    England
    Croatia

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Messi lift the trophy, but figure it will be France as well.

I just hope England doesn't lose on PKs again.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll go with Belgium. That's a hell of a roster.

(Probably would have taken France before the draw with the U.S.)

10. typefitter

So, the opener is at 11 AM here. I've worked every World Cup since my football-mad son was born, so I've never been able to watch a World Cup game with him. I decided I was going to pull him from school for the opener. (He's 10. He's not learning anything in school.) I was going to lie to his teacher about it, and then I was, like, You know what? I'm going to straight-up ask if it's okay and tell her why. She sent the nicest email back about enjoying the day with my boy.

I don't care that it's Russia v. Saudi Arabia. I am totally stoked, and this next month, being able to watch the World Cup with him... I couldn't be more excited.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

After the agony/ecstasy that was the Stanley Cup playoffs, I'm going to be happy to just enjoy an event without the stakes, truth be told.

Vombatus likes this.
  12. Webster

I still have amazing memories of the 2002 tournament. Watching games in bars in NYC which were allegedly closed (cops didn't care if you put shades on the windows) and then going right to work. Or setting the alarm for 4:30 to watch the last game of the day.

My 9 year old son has a half day on Friday, so we are going to watch Spain-Portugal together.

Draft saved Draft deleted