1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pulitzer winners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Coverage of Trump, Roy Moore and metoo the big winners

Winners

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As I said on the other thread, congratulations to the winners.

But I still don't think we should be giving Pulitzers to magazines. And I say that as someone who works in magazines.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think a big problem is that there are fewer "middle-class" papers. You have the NYT and WP and then.....the scavenger class (DFM, GateHouse etc.) doesn't mean they can't do quality work, but Gannett (with McClatchy the last two "mid-majors" won two this year on enterprise - that's kind of surprising.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the Post's Roy Moore coverage won a Pulitzer for something, but is "investigative reporting" the appropriate category? I always think of "investigative reporting" as something with documentary support - sifting through public records, that kind of thing. The Post did a remarkable job, but it did a remarkable job talking to people. Even the "Spotlight" Pulitzer for the Boston Globe required going through old directories and connecting the various dots.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We talked at length on here about the Dylann Roof piece from "GQ" that won the feature award. Like Az, I'd like to see this restricted to traditional dailies, although that line is pretty blurred these days. The Roof piece and the "Esquire" piece on the girl convicted of talking her boyfriend into committing suicide were two magazine features that stood out to me this past year, though. I'm sure there are a few that are slipping my mind. I assume that the David Grann piece on Henry Woolsey was published in 2018, right?

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Correct - the Grann piece was published in February 2018.

Also, Kendrick Lamar! I like his music but haven't quite worked through my feelings on him winning this. It's weird, if nothing else.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

The winning piece on Dylan Roof is good, but when did it become so appropriate to insert oneself into a feature story, or, why is it labeled as such? The first-person was very distracting to me, and while the reporting was solid, it didn't feel to me deserving of the Pulitzer.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

As I wrote on the other thread - it’s a very politicized Pulitzer winners list. Has it ever been this liberal? No. I doubt that.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Which specifically strike you as 'liberal?'

www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners-by-year/2018

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Anti-Trump Pulitzers.

Draft saved Draft deleted