1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's also where the ending of kayfabe hurts. Back then, heels could get heat by hiding foreign objects (like my namesake), or, like Moolah, spending five minutes pulling the babyface's hair, and get a big reaction. There was also better selling back then.

Nowadays, guys get hit with a big move, and they pop back up. Or they kick out of moves that would have been finishers 30 years ago.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Agree with what you guys are saying, but give me Terry Funk, Briscoe Brothers’, Bruiser Brody over guys like Rollins, Cena, Reigns, etc.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Bruiser Brody has been reincarnated. They call him Luke Harper.

4. John B. Foster

They may look alike. However, Luke is no Brody. No disrespect to Harper, I think he's a wonderful wrestler, but Brody was on a whole other level. In the ring, and outside of it.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  5. Baron Scicluna

Brody was a guy who, at one point, was rumored to be Hogan's opponent for the first Wrestlemania. That's how big a star he was.

And there's also the urban legend that he was going to do an invasion of the main event of that match as well.

Harper is excellent, and really should have been pushed much further, both as an eventual challenger to Bray, and as a top guy with Orton.

The E really dropped the ball when they broke up Bray's group the first and second times. They had built Harper and Rowan up pretty big in the beginning, to where a face turn against Wyatt could have been huge. Instead, they just quietly broke them up, got them back together, and never made much of a big deal when they did face each other.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. John B. Foster

In addition, he was very hard to handle. He did his thing on his own terms. Would have been interesting if he would have gotten along with Vince. However, from what I gather, he did get along with Vince Sr.

I am a big fan of Brody. He did tremendous work in Puerto Rico, New York, Mid-South, Florida, Texas, Japan, etc. He had the body of work.

A shame that he died the way he did. He was 42-years-old, but I think he still had a few good years in him.

7. Baron Scicluna

Supposedly, Brody had a backstage fight or argument with Gorilla Monsoon, which is why he never worked with Vince Jr.

John B. Foster likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think he took that blading thing a bit too far in Puerto Rico, though.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  9. John B. Foster

You can say that about many wrestlers back in that era.

10. John B. Foster

EDIT: That went way over my head. @Batman

Lol.

Baron Scicluna and Batman like this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

I hate myself for chuckling about this.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think Harper has the potential to be as good as Brody was but won't get the chance, and I grew up watching Brody in WCCW and loved him. Harper has never been given a sustained opportunity to show what he can do in promos without Wyatt, though I thought he did pretty well when he was a singles guy for the short time they gave him a run. I think the WWE is afraid to pull the trigger on him and let him have a run with one of the titles because he doesn't have the "look" to be the face of the company.

And Brody never would've made it with Vince Jr. He was too much of a headache for promoters. A lot of them put up with it because he helped with the gate, but he was a pain in the ass when things didn't go the way he wanted (the Luger match for the Florida title is the biggest example probably). Vince didn't need Brody to bring in crowds after he got WWE going.

But it's always tough comparing wrestlers from one era to another. Harper does more athletic things than Brody did for the most part, but that's the style these days. If Brody had come up in the current wrestling scene, he'd probably be doing the same kind of stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted