1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RIP Mt. Fiji, the top star from GLOW

Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling legend Mt. Fiji dead at 60

The cool thing about her was that, in spite of GLOW's general silliness, they protected her gimmick very well, and supposedly, she not only was undefeated, but she'd never even was knocked off her feet.

Watching the GLOW documentary from a few years ago, she was apparently in poor health for a lot of years. It was pretty sad to see, especially when she described her time wrestling as the best part of her life. The ending of the documentary, when all the women at the reunion greeting her entrance by singing the GLOW theme song is very touching.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Went to a WWE house show tonight with my wife, who is quite the trooper and who swoons over Randy Orton. When it was getting down to the last couple matches and becoming apparent he wasn't on the card (it was a Smackdown show, so I figured he would be), she turned to a guy next to us and asked if he knew if Orton was supposed to be here.
    The guy responded, "Who?"
    Wife: "Orton. Randy Orton."
    Guy: "I have no idea who that is. We just heard something was going on and came to check it out. This is the first time I've ever seen wrestling."

What in the holy fuck!?
    This arena isn't exactly in an area where you'd just wander in as a passerby, so presumably this guy dropped at least $20 on a ticket to a show he knows nothing about?
    And even if you don't know wrestling, you've got to have an idea of who Randy Orton is, right? He's arguably one of the five most famous active wrestlers on the planet, just based off the RKO memes alone.
    My mind was blown for the rest of the night. I think I met the dumbest son of a bitch in town, and somehow he has a ton of disposable income.

3. Baron Scicluna

So I assume Orton wasn't at the show and you slept on the couch last night?

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don’t think Randy Orton has nearly the crossover appeal you think he has.

5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Did not know Jesse "The Body" Ventura was a color guy in the NHL:

;)

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He's no John Cena, but he's been around long enough and is a big enough star that the answer shouldn't be, "Who?"

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Orton probably has the most mainstream "popularity" behind Cena, Lesnar and Vince McMahon, in some rough order of "active" performers. However, I think they're all way ahead of him, and I don't think he has much fame outside of wrestling. Not sure if his meme-ness and role in one of those shitty WWE movies would put him ahead of or behind the Bellas and Total Divas crew. It is bizarre to me if you were going to a wrestling show and completely unaware of him, but knowledgeable about others.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I mean, I understand how offputting it is to hear that at a wrestling show, but I wouldn’t expect someone who doesn’t watch wrestling to know about anyone besides Hogan and The Rock.

For people vaguely familiar with wrestling, I’d say those already mentioned, along with Punk and probably even the Big Show, would have a higher Q rating than Orton.

9. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

That's how I went to my first wrestling show. Had never seen it on TV, didn't know anything about it. I was a teenager. Somehow ended up with second-row seats.

Main event: Bob Backlund defending his WWF title against Blackjack Mulligan. Card also had Fuji & Saito vs. The Strongbow Brothers.

10. Baron Scicluna

My parents hated wrestling, but my mother finally agreed to take me as a reward for getting some good grades.

Main event was Strike Force against the Islanders, which was right after Martel and Santana had formed, so there was some major heat to the match.

Some fans near me also spent time yelling some racial stuff and some other things to ring announcer Mel Phillips. I didn't know what they were talking about at the time, but looking back now, I'd imagine it had something to do with his foot fetish reputation.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

HOLY (pre-taped) SHIT!!!

12. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, I was just about to say. That was crapically* acted, but it was a really cool visual.

* I think I just invented a word.

Draft saved Draft deleted