1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It's from his wife's paycheck.

bumpy mcgee, sgreenwell and Batman like this.
  2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

With the music industry of 2018, I'm not sure if that would pay him more than another wrestling stint.

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

This question is for everyone, but since Tommy Dreamer mentioned the match, and whatnot - can NJPW be an actual threat to the WWE in the US? They have made a US title, they are doing more in the US, etc.

But are they a threat? Is anybody a threat? The stuff Cody is doing for ROH is great but aren't really a threat to overtaking WWE. Could it actually happen?

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Probably not ever a genuine one, unless they can land a major TV deal. The people watching New Japan are people who are already obsessed with WWE stuff, or so jaded about wrestling they don't watch WWE. I don't see how they could ever have the casual fan base needed to threaten WWE. The biggest threat to WWE would be someone like Ted Turner getting back in the game. Meaning, a hypercompetitve egomaniac similar to Vince that would just be in it partially to beat him.

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Threat? No. Alternative? Yes.

Meaning they can siphon off some ticket or merch money that might have otherwise gone wwe's way. They might get big enough to take a miccard talent or two, give the wrestlers a choice or a parachute to take risks.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Also, could you imagine Omega's Wrestlemania entrance? That or if Marty Scurl ever comes aboard. Man ... possibilities.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This, and even then, they would need to sign some major WWE stars. Cena and Lesnar would be the two guys that would give them some credibility as a threat.

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Well, we know that Cena is loyal to the WWE and will never go to Japan. I think it's safe to say that Vince will probably pay what Lesnar wants for the next three years, or so. He's not going anywhere, either.

Would CM Punk joining NJPW make things interesting? How about Daniel Bryan? Or, they just don't have that star power like the guys mentioned above?

9. Baron Scicluna

They'd have some star power, but probably not enough to make NJPW a big threat. The E has too many resources to combat an attempt.

I look back to the several-week resumption of the Monday Night Wars in 2011. TNA brings in a washed-up Hulk Hogan, who's about as big a name as there was in the business. And on the first night, the E countered with Bret Hart's return after 14 years. Winner: WWE.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Seth Rollins, Joshy G and the WWE CrossFit revolution

Good read. Doesn't really address the way Olympic lifts may/may not be partially responsible for the rash of shoulder injuries (Cena, Cesaro, Bayley and a couple others in relatively short order)....but still a good read

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The New Monday Night Wars were a Gooker Award winner back in 2010.

INDUCTION: The NEW Monday Night Wars: 2010 Gooker Award Winner

ETA: Although, on a personal note, that did lead to one of my career highlights. That was also right around the time TNA decided to try its hand at leaving Orlando and putting on house shows all over the country. One of the stops in that brief period was in my town and, as the newsroom's resident wrestling geek, I got to write a longish preview story for the weekend section.
    TNA's media relations folks (who were always awesome back in the day) set me up with Jimmy Hart, who was in the area doing a small media tour. I met him at a radio station in another city and it was one of those times where he had about two hours to kill before he had to head to the airport. Not enough time to really do anything in a random city. So me and him just sat in an office at this radio station for a little over an hour, doing some interviewing and talking wrestling.
    It was one of the few times in my career I allowed myself to geek out a bit and I got a picture with him. He let me whole his megaphone, and the whole time I was thinking, "I wonder how many people have gotten clonked with this thing?"

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    sgreenwell likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Draft saved Draft deleted