1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Was listening to the Goldust podcast on Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard and Conrad asks about a specific promo Jerry Lawler cut on Goldust in 1997. Here it is...

Anyone remember this? I remember a bit of it, but did not remember Jerry saying the "f word". Imagine if that promo was cut in 2017-18.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

How many WWE fans would you guess even know who Omega is?

3. John B. Foster

With social media? I would say quite a lot.

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A decent amount, normally. But they're in Philly, so I'd think a lot of them would know who he was.

Put the show in Casper, Wyoming, and you'd get a lot of "OMG, some nutjob fan just jumped Jericho!"

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember Goldust's face turn, in which Lawler was hosting an interview segment with him, and asked him if he was "queer." Golddust responded, "No." and slugged him.

I've seen the E show clips of that segment since, and they've bleeped out the Q-word.

It's interesting, though, on how much stuff we've grown up on that wouldn't happen today. There's not a chance in hell that Jesse Ventura would call Tito Santana "Chico" or Heenan calling him "La Bamba."

Imagine women's groups today going nuts over how heel Savage treated Miss Elizabeth.

John B. Foster likes this.
  6. John B. Foster

Or when Undertaker hung Bossman by a noose.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  7. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

They'd have to set up the debut like AJ Styles in Orlando......get him a pop in a friendly space and then see what he does after that. I had same questions about how many people would know who AJ was, personally I didnt, but it worked.

Also, in 5th grade, a kid in my neighborhood got in all kinds of shit for asking a teacher if that was an extra pencil in his pants or he was just happy to see him. Of course he got that line from Goldust.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  8. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Unfortunately for all the Jericho talk, he's scheduled to do a Fozzy show on the 28th. Damn shame.

That match with Omega was really, really good.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

And Fozzy has a show in New Hampshire on the day of Wrestlemania. But nothing after April 8 ...

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least in the past, the Fozzy schedule has been intentionally manipulated to hide when he's going back to WWE.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Easier to do when you don't have a top-5 song on the hard rock/metal charts.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good to see Dean Ambrose finally bought him a new and proper light-up jacket.

Draft saved Draft deleted