1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Baron, Oh, it was definitely a media day for him, as he announced it on his Twitter the day prior lol.

However, I think he was pleased that I kept my discussion with him within the timeframe allotted (30 mins) and he seemed a bit annoyed at the guy before me who went over his time. I called Cody the first time

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I think this is more tied to them owning the network and not having to fit into ppv providers windows.

Its like grantland having unlimited space for 3500 word features that would be 800 to fit in a newspaper.

And just like feature writing, most wwe ppvs could benefit from cutting the fat

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think they also give matches more of a showcase and let them run longer.
    Just looking at Wrestlemania V and VI, there were four matches combined -- the two main events, and two Ted Dibiase matches that ran 10:01 and 11:50 — that were longer than 10 minutes.
    This year's Wrestlemania had five that were under 10 minutes (two of which were squash matches for storytelling reasons). Last year had three, including one that was 9:40 and the Goldberg-Lesnar match that would have been a disaster if it had gone longer than the 4:45 that it did.
    I'm not sure how other PPVs compare, but I'd bet most matches get 12-15 minutes and championship matches get 20-plus these days. So it's not all bad if they pick the right matches to let breathe.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Different era, also, in terms of how fans view workrate.

Savage/Steamboat is an outstanding match even now. Back then, it was absolutely stunning at what they did.

Vince liked big muscleheads, who could barely move (ahem, Warlord). They couldn't go 10 minutes. Nowadays, even the big guys can bump and move.

Batman likes this.
  5. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

6. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

It's simple for a couple of reasons, one which he gets. First, it's the laws in Saudi Arabia. Second, it's that the WWE has been pushing itself as the champion of a women's wrestling revolution, even with a match in the Middle East between two female wrestlers (in full body suits, but baby steps). Combine those two, and it opens WWEGRR up for criticism.

8. JimmyHoward33

Satin has to be trolling.

Theres no way he doesnt grasp the differnce between “not on the show” and “not allowed to be on the show.”

His line of thinking is intentionally obtuse.

I love womens wrestling. This show doesnt bother me because I made my peace with wwe being an evil corporation a long time ago.

It SHOULD bother fans and media outlets that parrotted their narrative about Steph and HHH inventing the womens genre though.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been watching WWE too long. Whenever they opened the show with the Saudi national anthem, I kept waiting for some foreign heel to come down the ramp.

John B. Foster likes this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Do they speak English on a wide basis in Saudi Arabia?
    Would have been funny if they gave John Cena a legitimate "What!?" chant during his post match promo.

John B. Foster likes this.
  11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Triple H is looking more and more like Ciampa's dad with that long, kinda grayish beard.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  12. JimmyHoward33

That was uncomfortable

Draft saved Draft deleted