1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 Pro Wrestling thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John B. Foster, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Great stuff tommy.

So do we think this greatest rumble is going to be a major show or a glorified house show? I’m leaning towards it turns out like Roadblock.....

Feels like such a strange place. Half the guys who were shaken up are going for titles on their old brand and already have new rivalries for Backlash.....2 weeks ago when Samoa Joe said he was gonna win the IC title and Universal title I was pretty sure he flubbed his lines but in fact hes in matches for both belts....

Tommy_Dreamer likes this.
  2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

I think Roman wins the Universal Championship. Will get less 'Backlash' in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia than he would in North America.

No clue who's going to win the Rumble.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Have they actually said if there's anything at stake for the winner of the Greatest Royal Rumble? Title match?

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We have a house show coming up in June in our fair city. The original main event was advertised as Reigns vs. Joe. The last ad I saw had changed it to Reigns vs. Jinder Mahal.
    Card subject to change, as Baron noted a few pages back, but it is always interesting to try to look at these to take a guess where storylines are headed a couple months down the line.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I dunno, but that thing is going to take FOREVER.
    I remember the time they did the 40-man Rumble and it started to drag in the middle because they didn't have the star power to fill it out. God only knows the kinds of scrubs who are going to come out at No. 23 this time. Maybe with enough NXT guys the roster is deeper now and they can have fewer dead spots. Or they'll speed up the time between entries. Every minute wouldn't be too bad to keep the match's window to about an hour.
    This show starts at 11 a.m. for me and I have to leave to cover a game around 4:30. I'm honestly wondering if I'll see the whole thing.

6. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I believe they’re going with “big ass trophy”

7. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Are they going with "90 second" intervals or "60 second" intervals?

8. John B. Foster

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's amazing to think that John Cena vs. Triple H was a Wrestlemania-headlining feud in the not-too-distant past. Now it's a throwaway old-timers'/special attraction match on this card.
    We've quietly moved into a new era, haven't we?

Also interesting is that, according to WWE, it's the first time they've been in a one-on-one match since 2010. There was a stretch there where it seemed like every PPV featured either these two, Orton or Edge wrestling each other.

10. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, we're in a new era. There's a lot more talent and depth now than there was 10 years ago, when, like you said, there was only a few guys every PPV.

The Performance Center, NXT, and the E's willingness to recruit the independents for talent, has been huge in this boom.

11. Baron Scicluna

It also shows how much times have changed, especially with technology. In 1987, the WWF could pretend that Hogan and Andre never faced each other, when in reality, they did numerous times from '79-'81.

Nowadays, everyone could just go online and watch the old matches, and the E would be ridiculed beyond belief if they tried to claim the two guys had never faced each other.

John B. Foster likes this.
  12. John B. Foster

Hence why the PPVs are much longer in this era than it was back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted