1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just speculating, but it seems that the match play format indicates that what makes guys mid-packers and bottom-feeders in stroke play are the inability to avoid blow-up holes. In match play, those don't matter so much. A 10 is the same as a 6.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That's precisely what the winner of our senior am told me last year. Shot an 81 on the first day of stroke play. Snuck into match play with a 69 on the second day. Rolled through the field. Said he loves match play because one hole can't kill you.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's an obvious WWE aspect to this. Reed loves a heel turn. See Gleneagles 2014. Spieth knows he'll always be a face, so it doesn't seem to bother him much.

John B. Foster likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How many Majors has Fatrick won again?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Spieth and Reed are hacking it around in grand style. Spieth started double-double and Reed, who's one up on the 7th, has not been much better. Haven't a birdie between them.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Reed's apparently about to win -- three-up through 15.

Full disclosure: I'm not watching. I just saw the score.

7. Its Friday and Tiger is not playing. Why would you watch?

8. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Because he's a real golf fan. /sarcasm

9. Michelson down 4, comes back to win 1-up.

DJ smashes a drive 489 yards. Would be a Tour record, but match play stats don't count. DL3 hit on 476 at Kapalua in 2004.

10. Michael_ Gee

I watched. Spieth would've had a score in the high 70s at best if it'd been stroke play. He had no control of his irons whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted