1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think @Junkie is partly wrong, because of course Tiger was going to get coverage on Sunday, but I will say that I watched all afternoon and I don't remember all that much coverage of Paul Casey's round. I can picture two of his shots. And he got two questions post-round, was on the verge of tears, and then they cut away. (There was some mention of a friend's death that was driven past like a highway exit.) Tiger was a good story on Sunday, but Paul Casey was totally overshadowed. That's wrong on a bunch of levels, and in this case, it was wrong journalistically, too, because there was another story that deserved to be told and told well, and Sunday viewers, at least, heard only a little of it.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Didn't Casey kind of blindside everyone, though, by shooting a 63 or something like that? If he had been among the leaders to start the day, I think it's covered differently.

As it was, it was kind of like, "Oh, shit. Paul Casey."

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick. once again, I said they were the only story that interested ME. After the game, there were all sorts of Belichick and Brady angles. Still are.
    PS: Casey got his share of coverage as a whole. But when the eventual winner finishes his round an hour plus before Saturday's leaders, he won't get much coverage because he's not on the course.

4. Dick Whitman

I understand your point. What is interesting to the people who follow a sport or team every single day is bound to be quite different than what is interesting to the casual fans who make up about 98 percent of sports followers.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Since the start of 2008, Tiger's played 103 events (if I counted correctly). There are more than 40 events each year, so there have been more than 300 tourneys with no Tiger whatsoever where, finally, Jason Dufner could be fully enjoyed. Of the tourneys Tiger's played, he's pulled out (heh) with injury a few times. He's also missed 13 cuts. So there are fewer than 90 times in 10 years when we've been forced to deal with weekend coverage of Tiger. He's won 18 of those tournaments so now we're at like 70 tourneys where he didn't win yet the networks dared to still show some or many of his shots. Have those 70 tourneys really been so enraging? I guarantee when he's well back, networks are not showing every one of his shots. They just aren't. I know this because I'm one of the people who want a dedicated channel that is just showing each of his shots, and it unfortunately doesn't exist on normal CBS or NBC coverage.

In the past four years, with Tiger in the shadows or gone completely, which great players aren't having their stories told? Spieth? Rory? Day? Phil? They've all received great coverage, been written about extensively, fawned over endlessly -- as Gee points out, that's sort of a thing with golf coverage. (And this actually goes both ways. Yes, announcers fawn over Tiger when he does well, but conversely, other players are allowed to hit bad tee shots. When Tiger does we're getting the slow motion replay and they're asking what's wrong and what's different and why isn't it like 2005? Other players can hit bad chips. When Tiger does it's the yips never leave and, geez, remember when he never had a bad chip? Other players can miss 10-foot putts. When Tiger does it's, remember the great putts, remember the magic, remember how he never seemed to miss a key one? But that's part of the deal. He's not a normal golfer, even if his golf is now.)

And yeah, Casey started 5 shots back. He got hot early but even then was in with a huge batch of players. And even with that start, he was -6 after 6 holes, still three back of the lead and with a ton of other players. Once he took the lead, they showed him and they put Begay on his group as an on-course reporter. Again, it's fine to blame the coverage but that happens any time a guy puts up a score early on Sunday and charges to the front. You're just not going to see a lot of him until he's in the lead, especially with a bunched-up board. Now, if Tiger started 5 back and got a few birdies would he get more coverage than Casey did early? Of course. But that is the difference between 1 career victory entering Sunday and 79.

The No Laying Up guys always talk about players who don't get coverage as they rally. It's a running joke. But again, nothing to do with Tiger.
    Eye on CBS (an intervention) - No Laying Up

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  6. Dick Whitman

The other day, someone here said that the term "virtue signaling" never gets applied unless it is being applied to political liberals.

Well, I am applying it:

Bitching about how you want to see other golfers and not Tiger is golf fan virtue-signaling.

I'm a
    real fan. I like the deep tracks on this album.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I miss Jimmy Demaret.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hey, I like it all. If I get a mix of what Tiger is doing and others on the leaderboard around him are doing, then I'm happy. I watched most of Sunday's NBC broadcast, and it was Tiger heavy. But that Tiger-heaviness was 100 percent justified because he was right in the mix. I saw plenty of Casey, too. And I saw Patrick Reed's "putt."

This seems like an odd weekend to make this particular Tiger argument.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

NON TIGER TIDBIT

When I was watching some of the 86 Masters and looking for a scoreboard screenshot, I came across Norman's birdie putt on the 71st hole. Verne broke out a "Yes Sir" after the Shark sank it. I knew Ben Wright had used a "yes sir" that everyone forgot about when Jack made eagle on 15. But I didn't realize Verne repeated his now-legendary call from Jack's putt on 17!

Also, Norman birdied 14, 15, 16 and 17 to climb into a tie. Damn. Talk about legendary. Only to barf it up with his second shot on 18.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Ratings of the fourth round of the Valspar Open were up 190% over the previous year. It was the highest rated golf telecast, outside the Masters, since the 2015 PGA. As long as the ratings stay that high when Woods contends coverage will be Tiger all the time.

And it should be. The viewer who watched the Valspar Open last year is a hard core golf fan and will watch anyway. The majority of the viewers were watching to see what Tiger did..

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is insane. My wife isn't watching spellbound this weekend because Feherty is fellating Tiger. My friend who has never picked up a club wasn't watching this weekend because there was a chance of Bubba doing something magical.
    You may not be a Tiger fan, but 5 million people didn't tune into the Valspar on Sunday to see if Corey Conners could win his first tournament.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You'd make a hell of a TV exec.

Draft saved Draft deleted