1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I interviewed Bill Coore the other day for a story for our magazine. Really nice guy who has a lot of interesting thoughts on how modern course designs can positively affect pace of play.

Double Down likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Evil, there is a course in Watertown, Mass., just west of Boston called Oakley Country Club. It is so old that it's where Ross got his first job when he came to America.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He's created lots of very good stuff. Spectacular to the point of being legendary? No. If I had a criticism, it's that Jack's courses have an Augusta National look to them in that every blade of grass is generally perfectly manicured and the courses often lack a natural look. But he created an exceptionally entertaining routing at Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor, Mich., on a property that was an industrial wasteland, and Shoal Creek and Wynstone (private, north of Chicago) are fun, playable course and major selling points for those residential developments.

I think Weiskopf is way underrated as a designer. Anyone who has a chance to play Coore/Crenshaw's Clear Creek (west of Reno/Tahoe, I think it is), don't pass it up.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Sorry boys.
    Any time someone starts talking about The Masters, it gets me in the mood for the following 3 songs.
    I can hear Nantzy going over the highlights with these first 2 songs playing in the background, and Summerall's voiceover.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm a big Dye fan. Being in Indiana is part of that, but I enjoy all the mental games he plays with you. (Well, you have to try to enjoy or you'll bury your clubs.) He gets a bit of a bad rap from some who think all of his stuff is over-the-top like Whistling Straits; his non-resort designs and private courses are quite playable and not completely evil.

He's also been a gloriously cranky guy for decades, and great copy. When Crooked Stick was awarded a U.S. Senior Open a decade ago, the USGA stuffed blazers had a press conference and included him. The lead speaker from the USGA kept calling it "Crooked Creek," which was his home course in North Carolina. Each time, Pete would mutter "Crooked Stick." The muttering got louder and louder until after the fourth time, Pete yelled out "It's Crooked Stick! I know, I built it!" and the whole room broke up while the USGA guy's face turned bright red.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

There are two ways to counter the technology advances, smaller greens and narrower fairways. I have the privilege of regularly playing a Mackenzie course and the course doesn't need to be tricked out with long carries and blind shots to be difficult. Subtlety in greens and bunker placements go a long way. That's why I was not a fan of Miller courses, too many blind shots. Modern public courses also suffer from having to accommodate cart paths.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Whistling Straits may be the most evil golf course ever built.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Herb wanted insanity and Pete gave it to him.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Dye course I have played more than once is TPC Sawgrass, because my parents lived near it. When the course had been "finished," that is, technically ready to play but with the stadium part unfinished and the greens harder than the Garden parquet, the club let members of nearby clubs like my folks play it for a song to try to sell expensive memberships. All those spectator areas that are terraced with railroad ties. When we first played it, they were mounds and hills of sand. Hit in one of those, well, I dunno if I would have broken 200 if I hadn't picked up about six times. I swear to you, left to his own devices, Dye would've left the course like that.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think it's funny how people are so in love with these "public courses" getting US Opens.
    Listen. I'm sure Pebble Beach is wonderful, and everyone wants to play it once. I get that.
    But the average amateur going there, dropping $500 for a green fee, caddy.......all said and done, you're dropping $2000 or more......and you're not breaking 130.
    What the hell is fun about that?
    Same with Chambers Bay.........Erin Hills.......Torrey Pines.
    Play courses you know you can play.
    Don't pretend to be a 3 when you're a 13.

Draft saved Draft deleted