1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 PGA Tour Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Dustin Johnson wins by a million yesterday.
    If he stays healthy, he may win a couple majors this year.
    If you didn't see this yesterday, watch this drive get absolutely fucked.

I loved it when Bones told him on the way to the hole that he hit to about 3 inches, DJ told him "I caught it a little thin."

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

DJ has one helluva life going. Enjoy watching him play. And agreed... he should be in the mix at multiple majors.

Getting excited for this season. Tough not to after watching these guys rip it up in Hawaii.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Things are good when you wake up to this each morning.
    upload_2018-1-8_17-57-0.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, he’ll destroy himself again sooner or later.

Double Down likes this.
  5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was nuts. Seemed like every hole was a drive downhill though. I walked Kapalua before, didn't notice that (didn't play it, played Wailea and Makena instead.)

He's got tools but winning by 8 at Kapalua is not an indicator for me as to how he does at Augusta/Carnoustie (forgot other two.) The way he drives it though, he should have a great chance at Augusta. He doesn't have to be great putting, just good (unlike others.)

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Shinnecock (US Open)
    Bellerive (PGA)

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Shinnecock, where Pavin hit the greatest (?) 4 wood ever? Went 215 (which meant his drive only went about 200, think about that.)

8. Not to take anything away from DJ: I played Kapalua last month. Its not that hard of a course. It is a LOT of downhill drives. Putting is the biggest challenge. No wind and the pros eat it alive.
    My cousin got snapped a phot0 with Rickie Fowler Saturday.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Being married to Paulina would be awful.

Seriously.

Anyway, moving on to golf matters...

I'm not convinced being stupid long is an advantage at Augusta anymore. DJ is a great wedge player, and I think that will give him a real chance to contend, but so many of the approaches are off uneven lies or downhill lies, it takes all kinds of creativity to hit shots that will funnel toward pins. Is DJ a "creative" player? I don't know that anyone would describe him that way. Would love to see he and Rory torch the place, but still not sure the advantage isn't to players who hit it in the right spots instead of the close spots.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree about hitting to the right spots, that's what Tiger used to say, you have to know where to hit it. I'm just bringing up holes like #2 and 8 where being long brings eagle into play for DJ but not others. But DJ's been fading it off the tee every so slightly so that works against him at 13 & 15 and some others like 11.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I actually don't think being long on 2 is a big advantage anymore. That downslope is so severe that it's hard to get it close with a long iron. I've seen so many guys murder it off the tee and they end up no closer with their second than guys who hit it to the top of the hill. It's pretty rare to get on in two on 8 either. There was only one Yellow Jasmine eagle all of last year.

What makes Augusta playable for long and short players, especially now that the greens have to be hard as cement, is the emphasis on understanding angles. That's Spieth's whole genius.

I do think DJ will have a great shot this year. Rahm and Rory too. But someone like Rose (who is long but also has a great track record there and keeps getting in the mix) would be where I'd lean as a non-Spieth pick.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

DJ’s going to make Vegas a lot of money for the Masters. He’ll be too obvious of a pick.

Draft saved Draft deleted