1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

1-31 doesn’t get you fired but 1-39 does?

2. At some point, Jackson is gone. It sounds like he is woefully mishandling his team. he punished one of his players by making them play last week's preseason game. I forget the details, but he was criticized by several former players. I don't think he can deal with the players, muchless head coach a football team.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Hard Knocks is definitely exposing some of the disfunction on that team. When some assistants pushed him about being too lenient with players sitting out practices, he responded that he used to think that way until he was a head coach. Of course, one of the people he was addressing was Todd Haley, a former head coach. The look on Haley's face while Jackson went on about running his team his way was priceless.

I still think the Browns will be better, but I doubt they get very far until Jackson is gone.

4. They better be good early. The back half of their schedule is tough.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I watched that scene and thought, "Holy shit, that's a good way to lose your coaching staff."

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain he has already lost Haley. Is there any doubt Haley's focus is on positioning himself to be Jackson's replacement?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yes, the contract they offered him came with a $12 million pay cut as part of a trade, and he opted to stay in San Francisco with the guaranteed money instead.

It infuriates me that the flag-waving anti-Kaepernick crowd believes this crap.

sgreenwell, PCLoadLetter and JC like this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

There are few coaches I've seen as overmatched by a coaching job as Hue Jackson is in Cleveland. And he's been in a relatively low-pressure situation there. Nobody has expected much of the Browns the last couple years.

The bar he needed to clear was essentially just sitting on the ground. He figured out a way to dig under it.

I Should Coco likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What surprised me about the Broncos offer to Kaepernick is the only other QBs on the roster were Semien and Paxton Lynch, who couldn't have combined for more than $5 mil.

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

You think this is specific to Kap? How many fan bases around the league have crapped all over "selfish" players that have been traded or cut for not taking the cheese on a re done contact because management has convinced fans they need to "stay out of cap jail"?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah and those guys all become a political lightning rod for the president and his army of Russian Facebook trolls.

If you don't have anything to say, you don't ***have*** to say anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted