1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 NFL off-season thread: Mr. Alex Smith goes to Washington

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good night for chef to place bets.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Batman likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If only it was Swearingen, his nickname could be "Deadwood."

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Thursday games cut off around Week 15, right? Not a lot of teams are in or out by then, or at the very least not locked into a certain seed.
    It's also very hard to play a meaningful NFL game at anything less than full speed. Unless it's a situation like the Pro Bowl where everyone is on that same page, going half-speed is like trying to walk across a busy interstate. You also have guys who are playing for their job next year, whether it's with their current team or not. I don't think it's smart or in their DNA to half-ass it out there.

PaperClip529 likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not half-ass exactly, but do things like dive for tackles at the ankles rather than go high. It's often forgotten that head to head contract is dangerous for both heads. Guys going out of bounds five yards before they might do so ordinarily. There are degrees of intensity even within full speed. The first game of the season is not one-tenth as vicious as the Super Bowl will be this Sunday.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This is nothing short of ridiculous. There is a little bit of difference between blowing off a game in an 82-game season and a 16-game season. Especially since Pop's teams already know they'll be in the playoffs by midseason (since more than half the league makes it).

PaperClip529 and sgreenwell like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You're all going to stop laughing at the Browns when they reel in Kirk Cousins and Terrell Pryor for approximately $45 million per season on the free agent market and...win three games.

Goddammit.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NFL's most improved team!

Double Down likes this.
  9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it wasn't so much a trade of qbs, as it was a trade of contract situations. I don't think Cousins would have signed for what Smith is getting.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I generally stay the hell away from TNF.
    Players hate them, and you're right......they just want to survive those games.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And they will resign Johnny Football in order to have Cousins tutor him.

That will erode Kirk's confidence.

And as the saying goes, it won't end well for Johnny Manziel.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think the problem was Cousins may have signed for that 2 years ago, instead , the Foreskins paid him franchise money twice.

Smith will get old real fast in DC.

The 3 Vikings QBs are FA, Cousins. CanPhilly keep Wentz and Foles? Cleveland will have their pick of ways to get 3 wins

Draft saved Draft deleted